• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q8200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

5some1

Hello.
My specifications:
Motherboard- ASUS p5g41t-m lx
RAM-two slots of 2gb. 1333mhz O.C
Fans-Alpine 11 GT(CPU) + two more fans
GPU-XFX(another company similar to EVGA) GTX+ 9800
PSU-LitePower 500W
HDD- SSD terabyte

Well, overclocking is very confusing me, i know what is that mean overclock but i am not so sure when I need to raise voltage and what voltage(memory voltage, vcore...). In my bios, i succeed to overclock by 15% which means- CPU: from 2.33Ghz to 2.67Ghz Dram: from 1333Mhz to 1532Mhz. It seems that i can overclock also by 20% but i get Overvoltage/ Overclock failure. From what i saw on the browser, i need to raise the voltage until i get my pc stable, but i am afraid to raise the voltage because i dont know if the will be consequences. Also, i saw that people says that they were able to overclock even to 3.33Ghz. I dont know how the hell did they do that, so i need help with that. It confusing me too much.

That guide will help for sure... but you have a couple things holding you back.

1. The board. It's not great. 4 total power phases and they are not hestsinked will limit how far it can go.
2. 1333 memory. Since everything is tied together like Johan said, you have zero headroom on the memory (1333 is that platforms base speed) so it may limit you first.
3. Garbage Power supply. Crap brand... better hope it is outputting its full power and cleanly.

That said, give it a whirl through the guide and report back with any questions!

That guide will help for sure... but you have a couple things holding you back.

1. The board. It's not great. 4 total power phases and they are not hestsinked will limit how far it can go.
2. 1333 memory. Since everything is tied together like Johan said, you have zero headroom on the memory (1333 is that platforms base speed) so it may limit you first. taco: you mean he can't drop ram multiplier any lower to get lower frequency? That's quite high base ram frequency!
3. Garbage Power supply. Crap brand... better hope it is outputting its full power and cleanly.

That said, give it a whirl through the guide and report back with any questions!

The lowest you can go on that platform is 1:1 (memory:FSB). The 8200 is a 333 FSB CPU to start.

Short answer, yes... that is why I said it.............unless I am mistaking of course.

Hmm, well I looked up specs on Intel page and they mention 1333FSB, but if it's 1:1 with ram, how can that be? At that time, 1333 ram was super fast I assume.

1600/1866, etc was all quite common back then... look around. ;)

Lets not go OT, ehh Taco?

Wrong. There are people who got lot of money to spend, and some people don't. If i had lot of money to spend, I could buy and expensive pc which is really good for games today, but i don't have. That's my pc, and you can't just tell my that I have "Garbage psu. Crap brand...". I don't play modern games at all, i only played: Doom(2016) and titanfall 2, on my dad's lenovo laptop. That's it! so don't tell me that my pc is sucks. Also, i know that I can't overclock to 3.33Ghz, my cpu will burn. If i had something like water cooling, i probably was able to do that, but i don't have. The only thing i want is help from you guys to overclock as much as i can. To it maximum potential.

Well, perhaps what ED was trying to say is more affordable power supplies may be sometimes temperamental in regards to clean power output. All this of course may hinder any over clocking attempts, let alone run stock without issues. I'll tell you a story, Sir:

Taco used to have a PC and that pc would very often reboot or shut down without any reason. Taco didn't know what was going on and just thought this is part of having complex computational machine. When it was time to decommission it, Taco kept the power supply for other purposes and that power supply would often shut down when load was applied. Didn't matter what load it was, but it would start to flicker output and turn off.

Yours may not have such dramatic issues, but over clocking may alleviate any minor power delivery inconsistencies.

Give your data a healthy backup before proceeding because you will often get it corrupted if multiple failed overclock attempts are made. Good luck!:salute:

Well, perhaps what ED was trying to say is more affordable power supplies may be sometimes temperamental in regards to clean power output. All this of course may hinder any over clocking attempts, let alone run stock without issues. I'll tell you a story, Sir:

Taco used to have a PC and that pc would very often reboot or shut down without any reason. Taco didn't know what was going on and just thought this is part of having complex computational machine. When it was time to decommission it, Taco kept the power supply for other purposes and that power supply would often shut down when load was applied. Didn't matter what load it was, but it would start to flicker output and turn off.

Yours may not have such dramatic issues, but over clocking may alleviate any minor power delivery inconsistencies.

Give your data a healthy backup before proceeding because you will often get it corrupted if multiple failed overclock attempts are made. Good luck!:salute:
XD.
Like i said, i already done overclock(cpu, ram) by 15%. My pc is not even a pc anymore, its a monster, because of my big gpu which i replaced with i must keep my pc case open. Overclock of 15%:
cpu: 2.33ghz to 2.67Ghz
dram: 1333mhz to 1534mhz
it means i guess that with a little changes, i will be able to do more.

Wrong. There are people who got lot of money to spend, and some people don't. If i had lot of money to spend, I could buy and expensive pc which is really good for games today, but i don't have. That's my pc, and you can't just tell my that I have "Garbage psu. Crap brand...". I don't play modern games at all, i only played: Doom(2016) and titanfall 2, on my dad's lenovo laptop. That's it! so don't tell me that my pc is sucks. Also, i know that I can't overclock to 3.33Ghz, my cpu will burn. If i had something like water cooling, i probably was able to do that, but i don't have. The only thing i want is help from you guys to overclock as much as i can. To it maximum potential.

What E_D said isn't wrong and there was no offense intended. Just pointing out that that's not a good PSU and it's also getting old. Not a good combination when overclocking. IF the PSU fails it can take out other parts of the system like GPU, CPU, and motherboard.
Back to that, you're going to have to drop the RAM speed before you continue. That will take some of the strain off the NB and allow (hopefullY) you to push the CPU clock speed up higher.

I have a good news, i've got a new computer, specs are:
CPU:i5-4460 3.20GHz(3.40GHz when turbo boost on)
GPU:GTX 1060 Asus 6GB(dual fans)
RAM:8GB DDR3 1600mhz
Motherboard: h81m-k
SSD 250GB
HDD 3TB
Very good computer.
But i need help with something else now:
My brother has pretty old computer. Dual core cpu, gt 630, 4gb ram DDR2....
The problem is that I wanted to make his PC work better so I overclocked his ram from 667mhz to 800mhz(Max his pc can handle with)
and after i saved and restarted his computer, his pc boot for something like 3 sec and the shutdown and it happens repeatly. I didnt change the voltage or something. i cant even enter bios. I have tried to clear the CMOS but it didnt help.
I dont think his pc dead because when i put out his ram, it beeps(because i put out the ram) but it stays ON.
Is there something I can do? Or my brothers pc's dead?:sly:

Also helps to hold power button for like 10 seconds to drain out the capacitors. Don't forget to pull the plug from the wall:D

I would try putting in only one memory stick and see if it will boot. When using only one memory module some motherboards require it to be in a certain slot and he slots are usually color coded from that generation. Try both sticks in that one slot. It could be that in your overclocking effort you damaged one stick but not the other. That is often how it works in my experience.

Are there any extra buttons or some sort of jump er on the mobo? I would guess it's possible to default somehow given she allows overclocking..:dhrug:

Are there any extra buttons or some sort of jump er on the mobo? I would guess it's possible to default somehow given she allows overclocking..:dhrug:

Yes there may be a jumper on mainboard that allows you to clear the CMOS. I'd look into finding more details on that in your motherboard user manual.

Back