• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel X25-M firmware version 02M3 available

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Intel X18-M/X25-M and Intel X25-V SATA SSDs (34nm) Revision History

Date: 18 January 2011
Revision: 2CV102M3

This firmware revision fixes enumeration and slow-boot issues on SATA 6Gb/s controllers, adds improvements to S.M.A.R.T. attributes for more accurate reporting of drive health, improves NCQ capability, and fixes possible drive hangs when reading S.M.A.R.T. self-test log.

Intel® SATA Solid-State Drive Firmware Update Tool
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...+80GB+SATA+II+2.5in,+MLC,+High+Performanceeng

... and make sure to read the instructions before flashing:

Intel(R) SATA SSD Firmware Update Tool Instructions
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18363/eng/README.txt

Last edited:
Thanks! Now I just have to find a damn blank cd. Is it possible to put the iso on a usb drive?

Got around to updating my Intel X25-V 40GB, I'm impressed with this drive. After ~6 months of no maintenance running Win 7 x64 on the left is brand new and on right is with new firmware after ~3hours S1 sleep.

Last edited:
80GB X25-M 2GC - I don't have a 'before' pic., only an 'after'...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 2,278
Ever since the new firmware I have been getting freezing in Win7 x64 with the hard drive light lit red. A couple of times the restart had to be pressed. Any ideas?

Crap! Found out diskeeper auto enabled defragmentation on the drive. It must have seen it as a new drive after the update. SMART reports writes at 1.6TB total. not sure how much life that mistake will cost me. sigh. Seems to be fine now that i disabled it again.

Why is my Intel drive so much faster in write speed? Not that I am complaining...

speed.jpg

I just updated my firmware, left is before and right is after. Both were done w/ a fresh windows install.

Attachments

• ATTO Before flash.png
    ATTO Before flash.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,936
  • ATTO After firmware update.png
    ATTO After firmware update.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,907
Looks like this is for G1 and G2's, correct? Good timing - re-doing my RAID array and some other PC's this weekend :)

:cool:

just did the firmware update to my two 80gb x25-m's in raid 0. performance looks to be about the same/maybe a tiny bit better. here are my before/after screen shots:

Attachments

• atto_deadcats_2011-02-26_before.png
    atto_deadcats_2011-02-26_before.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,876
  • atto_deadcats_2011-02-26_after.png
    atto_deadcats_2011-02-26_after.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,899
just did the firmware update to my two 80gb x25-m's in raid 0. performance looks to be about the same/maybe a tiny bit better. here are my before/after screen shots:

How's the access time when you have two in raid? I've heard that it "feels" slower because of the overhead of the raid controller?

access time seems fine to me :shrug: i never used one by itself in raid, though. writes are not much faster than my 2 x 320gb drives in raid 0 that they replaced but reads are insanely fast :)

Looks like this is for G1 and G2's, correct? Good timing - re-doing my RAID array and some other PC's this weekend :)

Update/Clarification:

I updated my three G1's last year (or whenever the initial G1 performance issues were resolved via firmware) when the new firmware came out back then. This newest firmware release from Intel does NOT update the G1's beyond that year-old (or so) update. I also had a X25M G2 in the same system, and it was obviously updated with the most recent G2 firmware from this release.

Just a heads up for anyone that got a bit excited about a new firmware for G1's like I did - Nothing to see here :p

How's the access time when you have two in raid? I've heard that it "feels" slower because of the overhead of the raid controller?

Na not slower at all, access times are still very very good. I did tests originally when I got the drive and it bearly made a difference in access times.

Only thing about the raid that makes it feel slower is the lovely raid controller boot up time, and the slow degradation of the drives writes and a little on the reads with it being in raid but at least it levels out.

Before:
rDlSv.png
WEI score= 7.7

After:
GyXxK.png
WEI score = 7.7

*on Z68 chipset's SATA3 port - After:
XtpXS.png
WEI score = 7.7 still.

Last edited:
Back