• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IRQ problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joker76

Can anyone help me configure my IRQ settings under Win XP? When I run Win XP in regular mode, it tells me that all my devices are running on IRQ 09. But when I boot into Win XP in safe mode, it tells me that the devices all have seperate IRQs. I can't seem to get this figured out. Also, if I try setting the IRQs manually in the BIOS, my computer locks up during the POST when it says, "Initializing Plug-and-Play devices." I also have disabled PnP OS in the BIOS as well, so I am lost. Also, Windows will not let me set the IRQs from within Windows. Please help. Thank you.

irq

They're all on the same irq because of ACPI. You migt be able to change that in your bios or thru windows. Turning it off, means your computer will not shut off when you shutdown... it say "it is now safe to turn off your computer" and hang there until you hit the power button. If these shared irq's don't cause a problem, I'd leave 'em that way. That's just the way it's supposed to work. the same is true in win2k. I think if you do disable ACPI, you can't turn it back on unless you reinstall windows.

Well, some people said that an IRQ sharing problem could be why I was having a video problem that I explained here. My NIC and Video card are on the same IRQ, so I thought that could be why it seems to get all choppy when playing in multiplayer mode of Medal of Honor.

video problem

My 3dmark score dropped 1300 points a few months ago, and I too thought it was an IRQ sharing problem. I disabled ACPI and gave the video card its own irq, but that didn't help. I wound up reinstalling windows and everything else and that fixed it. Try reinstalling the video driver first though, maybe that'll help.

Well, I've been swaping this video card and HDs in and out of 2 systems. I've done probably 10 complete re-formats and clean installs of Windows. But nothing seems to help. The IRQ settings were my last resort. I have no clue what else to do. Like I said in my other post, everything worked fine before ...

Back