• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a case necessary?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gid

Registered
I love my case, but I've been looking into getting into extreme modding/cooling and I was wondering: if I'm using water+ cooling, is there a reason I need to have a case?

Other than to block electronic interference or give better grounding, not really. Alot of guys who've done extreme cooling (check the subforum) go caseless for benching, and people like Navig build bizarro custom benching cases that are (neat as heck I might add) partially open to facilitate switching parts more easily.

I love my case, but I've been looking into getting into extreme modding/cooling and I was wondering: if I'm using water+ cooling, is there a reason I need to have a case?
...what is this "case" you speak of? :eh?:

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

Hehe, great pics!

Thanks for the feedback. I've seen shots like those before, but thought they might just be for benching and not day to day use. Could I run my system safely like that 24/7/365?

Any tips on keeping the system grounded and avoiding electronic interference without the case?

And is Navig a member of the forums or just a well known OC'er?

Thanks!

Member of the forums,

Just make sure it has a good surface to be on, non conductive etc.

Hehe, great pics!

Thanks for the feedback. I've seen shots like those before, but thought they might just be for benching and not day to day use. Could I run my system safely like that 24/7/365?

Any tips on keeping the system grounded and avoiding electronic interference without the case?

And is Navig a member of the forums or just a well known OC'er?

Thanks!
Well, the one with the dry ice container on it was benching, yes. But the one just sitting on the dresser was my 24/7 while I waited for my case to sell and my 8800GTS to get back from RMA (hence the 1300xt). Ran perfect that way. Had to close my door though, otherwise the cats will lay on it because it is warm :rolleyes:

Member of the forums,

Just make sure it has a good surface to be on, non conductive etc.
WHAT?!

OMG, I've wondered why every motherboard I work on sparks and dies on that white table!!! I can't believe I didn't think of that >.<

You are at OC Forums CASES ARE OPTIONAL but No shoes, no shirt, no service!

There is no reason to have a case except for protection.

I dragged a gaming server around for a year in a cardboard box with out problems. Thinking back having $800 in hardware in a cardboard box cracks me up with it's obvious insanity. But hey, my friends loved it.

I dragged a gaming server around for a year in a cardboard box with out problems. Thinking back having $800 in hardware in a cardboard box cracks me up with it's obvious insanity. But hey, my friends loved it.

lol...love it

Especially if you have a fat cat that loves to lie on warm things! :D

Not only is my cat plump, he is large too. A few years ago he stood on my board and bent it.

Having nosey pets or small children would be the only reason I would use a case. The ATX power connector should provide a nice ground plane, cardboard or non-conductive should handle the rest. I have used nylon cutting boards before and it worked great. Long as it is not metal or holds static, you should be fine. Seran wrap does not make a good place to site a board.

just dont do this in an earthquake zone and you should be fine

note this is not my computer it belongs to a friend of mine that I told how to build a computer over the phone. About a month later while gaming he sent me this pic, and yes his computer is still in the same state today.

Attachments

• 20850026.JPG
    20850026.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,709
There is no reason to have a case except for protection.

Yah, you do not want a whole bunch of little pcs running around calling you Daddy....

EDIT: Oh yah... I have seen people that use the ESD bags that hte mobo arrives in wehn running caseles...

dont do it!

just dont do this in an earthquake zone and you should be fine

note this is not my computer it belongs to a friend of mine that I told how to build a computer over the phone. About a month later while gaming he sent me this pic, and yes his computer is still in the same state today.

LOL why does he have rails on the drives?

Back