• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to Network a Laptop and a Home PC with a firewire Cable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lamigra420

Registered
Maybe I was mistaken but isn't it possible to do this? I want to be able to transfer data between my two systems and play games. I'd like to avoid buying a PCMCI NIC card and using an ethernet cable. If anybody has experience doing this could they walk me through the set-up. Thanks for the help.:burn:

Firewire or "IP over 1394" networking can be done, but it has it's limitations due to OS's. Windows XP(both Home and Pro)work great, Windows ME works well, the rest will cause you headaches.

What OS are you running on each machine? And how far apart are they(physical distance is an issue with firwire)

The Laptop have Windows 98 and the Desktop has XP. They will be right next to each other when they are connected. I have a firewire cable to connect the two but am lost from here. I'd appreciate it if you could walk me through the set up. Thanks.:burn:

Back