• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth running Gpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tbrooks

New system Im running a 2500k on a P8P67. I have a GTX 560 and Im wondering if it is worth running it on Rosetta.

Unfortunately Rosetta at this time doesn't have a GPU client. You could get the GPU client for F@H while running Rosetta on your CPU...

+1 to folding@home for the GPU.. or seti or nearly ANY other distributed computing.. dang rosetta is behind a rock in this department!

What I wonder is there a way to run rosetta and SETI at the same time???
Sure. It's particularly easy if you're running the GUI version of BOINC.

On the advanced screen go to Tools => Attach to Project or Account Manager ... and select Attach to Project and proceed.

Once attached, you will need to go into settings to allow the kind of WU you want (for example only GPU tasks.) I think SETI has these settings. If you don't uncheck regular work units then you'll get a mix of whatever projects you attach to. (I can't confirm the SETI settings at the moment because their database server is down.)

This is for the Linux version of BOINC. I'm not sure what the Windows or Mac versions look like.

Darnit Bob, ya just passed me in RAC :-(
Now I have a Athlon 64 X2 3800+ & 9800GTX+ Running Rosetta on CPU & SETI on GPU.
Looks like SETI needs a tiny bit CPU as well, but it shouldn't impact Rosetta by much....

Darnit Bob, ya just passed me in RAC :-(
Now I have a Athlon 64 X2 3800+ & 9800GTX+ Running Rosetta on CPU & SETI on GPU.
Looks like SETI needs a tiny bit CPU as well, but it shouldn't impact Rosetta by much....

As far as I'm aware, it's currently not possible to have a DC app run entirely on the GPU - it still needs at least a little bit of the CPU to feed it info. The same should be true of F@H, but I've not played around much with it.

If you do feel that SETI on GPU is using too much CPU time (default is 4%, though on single core CPUs this can be significant), you can change this in app_info.xml in the SETI folder by modifying <max_ncpus>0.040000</max_ncpus> to represent whatever percentage you'll allow for GPU crunching :)

Back