• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my HX620 dying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

memphist0

I am currently using a Corsair HX620 to power the system below.

Q9550
Gigabyte P45
Corsair 4GB DDR2 1066Mhz
Geforce GTX260
Raptor 74GB
WD 640GB
2x optical DVD
7x120mm fans

The system was fine with an older e6600 (OCed) but with the q9550 I am getting random reboots with even a 10% overclock. The HX620 is close to 2 years old and I had read that power supplies will start produce lower power over time (don't know how long).

Anyway should the 620 be able to handle this or is it time to start looking for something new? I am particularly concerned about the 12V power split across three rails, could I be maxing one of them?

The HX620 is not even struggling with that load. Is there a chance that the PSU is the issue? Yes, but I doubt it without more testing.

The 12v "rails" are actually "a rail". It is advertised as multiple rail, but it isn't.

I run the system in my sig (QX9650 @ 4.0ghz and GTX260) on a HX620. Also, not listed is my file server. I run a quad core Phenom (2.6ghz) and have had up to 16 hard drives running at one, it didn't flinch. That PSU is of really good quality.

How much voltage are you trying to put through that Q9550? I'm running about 1.35v to stay at 4.0ghz.

Last edited:
I am currently using a Corsair HX620 to power the system below.

Q9550
Gigabyte P45
Corsair 4GB DDR2 1066Mhz
Geforce GTX260
Raptor 74GB
WD 640GB
2x optical DVD
7x120mm fans

The system was fine with an older e6600 (OCed) but with the q9550 I am getting random reboots with even a 10% overclock. The HX620 is close to 2 years old and I had read that power supplies will start produce lower power over time (don't know how long).

Anyway should the 620 be able to handle this or is it time to start looking for something new? I am particularly concerned about the 12V power split across three rails, could I be maxing one of them?

Thideras is correct memphist0.

I would run some memory tests with Memtest86 V2.11. While you're running it, check a molex plug with a multi-meter both 12v (yellow) and 5v (red).

Yeah, I doubt the PSU is the problem. My 620 put out probably close to 750 actual watts when I had a E8400 at 1.6v and 2 2900s in CF maxed out a year or so ago. Still works perfect today.

I've run memtest for an hour or two. I'll try it for longer and update

Can you pass Orthos or Prime at stock settings? Did you try running SuperPi @ the 32 mb setting as an intermidiate test before Orthos or Prime95?

Back