• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the IHS on Prescott soldered on?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lancelot

Is the IHS soldered on like with the Northwood 30 caps and Z-steppings? And even if it were removable on a Prescott could I safely mount my Zalman 7000Cu directly onto the (smaller) core?

Lancelot said:
Is the IHS soldered on like with the Northwood 30 caps and Z-steppings? And even if it were removable on a Prescott could I safely mount my Zalman 7000Cu directly onto the (smaller) core?
I would assume that they are soldered but dont know for sure. I would NOT remove the IHS using aircooling.

Ya, there was a post not too long ago about a guy who took the IHS off his prescott and discovered an almost unremovable solder like material all over the die.

I really wish it was removable... even tho my prescott temps really aren't so bad, they could always be better ;)

-Chris

I'm thinking they are like the M0's and EE's. Lots of heat to push and this 'solder' material possably has a higher heat transfer rate then the old puddy junk. Ok it's good junk but still.....

Yes all Prescotts use solder TIM. Removing the IHS wouldn't buy you all that much. But if you're really bored there's a slim chance you could get it off with a butane torch, a de-soldering gun, a vice, and some heavy gloves.

NookieN said:
Yes all Prescotts use solder TIM. Removing the IHS wouldn't buy you all that much. But if you're really bored there's a slim chance you could get it off with a butane torch, a de-soldering gun, a vice, and some heavy gloves.
wow
thats not easy

NewCore.jpg

This dude found out the hardway.

Lancelot said:
yes but that's the HUGE die of a P4 extreme edition, not a Prescott...

I know, just for reference for those who don't know what we are talking about.

Back