• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there any O/C possible in this system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zck250

Is there any overclock possible in this system?

I have a Gateway performance 800mhz with D815EEA mobo.
Is there any way to overclock any part of this system besides video card?

Last edited:
I doubt very seriously if SoftFSB will work with a Gateway PLL...they are one of the worst branded computers for o/c'ing...You are pretty much stuck w/ that one....:(

Branded computers don't work because the OEM Motherboard had blocked out the menu in the bios to adjust FSB, thus speed.

FP is right, you need a new motherboard to overclock. Even if programs do work, you won't be pleased as the programs aren't good at all.

Gateway Overclock

I think overclocking on D815EEA mobo is possible. If your processor is 100fsb x 8 multiplier (P3-800MHz. ) then you could change the fsb to 133 x 8 = 1064MHz. If your processor is P3-800EB then forget oveclocking. I don't know how, except changing to overclockable mobo.

How do you overclock to 133fsb x 8 ?

1. You could cover or take out pin BSEL1 on processor's pin. As results, the processor is going 133fsb as default speed. Cover BSEL1 only. See attachment: BSEL.BMP for detail.
Tips: I prefer to cut the "copper line" on the back of mobo. Cut it with "acto knife" ( sharp pointed razor blade ).

2. You should increase Vcore to achieve stability. Check out Pentium3 S-Specs to determine which "stepping" of your processor (cB0, cC0, cD0, etc). From the S-Specs, you could also determine its default voltage. Read this article for better understanding: "Voltage MOD for PIII Motherboards - The Wire Trick" by Anders Petersen - 9/8/01 at Overclockers.Com.
Tips: I prefer to do "solder tricks" by attaching a single wire and soldered it on the back of mobo.

3. Replace the heatsink with the biggest heatsink you can afford. AMD heatsink is the best to reduce heat problems. It does fit on socket PGA370. If you aren't sure, just buy the biggest Intel PGA370 heatsinks.

4. Set BIOS at its "default" speed and boot up. Good Luck man!

I said give up and sell your computer for a new part

In my experience, Dell, Compaq, and Gateway are HORRIBLE
Upgrade Machine.

In fact, it is fair to say that these machine are not Upgradable, much like the Apple iMac.

The Dell machine tend to use a Proprietary ATX Powersupply, that is neither TRUE ATX nor ture AT - it is a weird cross in between. I try replacing the Dell power supply with a standard ATX power supply to save $$$, but that just don't work.

My past experience with Compaq is that they tend to HIDE their Computer BIO on the HD itself. So a HD failure can wipe out the SystemBIO as well.

Search around the newsgroup. You will no doubt find many tale of people trying to upgrade their Dells an Gateway only to find it really isn't all that compatible with the Open-Standard :(

if you purchased a new motherbaord it may be possible...

Bad thing about the Gateway comp is that they use their own plug for power, reset, hdd led...even if you got a new mobo, you'sd have to cut the factory wiring harness from the case and solder new plugs on for the new board...it's just a big hassle for a so-so computer, and the average person ain't gonna do that...

Back