• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good build for a cheap HTPC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aftcomet

This HTPC will be used for the following functions:

1. Using MediaBrowser with Windows Media Center to watch ripped Blu-Rays/DVDs. No DVDs or Blu-Rays will be inserted hence no Disc Drive.
--> I have an i5 that does all the ripping and encoding.
2. Internet Browsing.
3. Absolutely NO gaming whatsoever.
4. Must be able to Bitsream TrueHD, DTS-HD, DTS, etc.

These are the components I've come up with for the machine:

CPU/Motherboard/Video: Asus E35M1-M PRO AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) (AMD Zacate) - $130
Ram: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 2X2GB DDR3-1333 - $33
Main HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 16MB Cache 7200RPM 3.5 - $35
Storage HDD: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 5900RPM 3.5 - $66
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-430CXV2 430W ATX Power Supply 80 PLUS - $35
Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech Cordless EX100 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combo - $50

Total: $379 (without shipping and taxes)

And don't ask about the case. I know my case is huge for a HTPC but quality HTPC cases are $100+ and I really don't want to pay that much for something with very little room. This case has a lot of room for expandability.

So is it worth building? Thoughts in general?

Dunno, for that much cash you could grab a Dell with a real processor and Windows included.

Dude that AMD architechture is fantastic. If you factor in the power bill savings, and the fact that the 350 APU will run absolutely any HTPC task imaignable, you can't go wrong.
As far as the Dell, you know it's going to be using lower quality parts than he selected. Especially the mobo and RAM will be lower quality. The PSU, I shudder to think. Will that matter for an HTPC? Probably not. Also if you don't build it, where's the fun?

I dunno, $130 just seems steep for what is essentially a notebook processor combo. Factor in Windows and it's almost $500 for the rig. Can get much more performance for the same money from Dell, and the motherboard, PSU, and RAM will be just fine.

It's not bad for $130. You get everything you need. Audio/video/cpu/lan/wireless. The point, in my humble opinion, is not where you could get something that would be technically faster from Dell. The point, to me, is whether it'd matter?

This person wants to build a pure HTPC. That's a web surfer, a music player, and a video player. You can handle all of that perfectly with the APU. With these sorts of pedestrian PC tasks we all know that the main difference in performance is in the storage system, be it a fast SSD or an HDD.

A little ASUS board that we know is going to be quite reliable is, IMO, a better buy than a Dell. Even if the Dell could out benchmark it. Also, if this person pays for electricity, the thing will cost a lot less to power.

So would I, but at the extreme low end, Microsoft screws over small time builders. Windows just takes such a huge percent of the build that it's impossible to compete with large guys who are getting Windows licenses for $15 or whatever.

Back