• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this mobo compatible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Diddykong

Hey all,

Quick questions. After doing alot of research I believe I have found my perfect motherboard for my new gaming setup. I would really appriciate someone to double check that this mobo will fit in with the rest of my setup, making sure I havn't overlooked something :)

1 x NZXT Lexa S Case USB3.0 Version
1 x Gigabyte G1-Sniper M3 Z77 Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI DisplayPort 8 Channel Audio mATX Motherboard
1 x Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
1 x Sony AD-7280S 24x DVD±RW with DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black
1 x G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
1 x Seagate 2TB BARRACUDA 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive - 7200RPM 64MB Cache
1 x Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1155, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler
1 x Corsair 600W CX Series V2 PSU - 6x SATA 2x PCI-E
1 x OCZ 60GB Agility 3 SSD - 2.5" SATA-III - Read 525MB/s Write 475MB/s 80,000 IOPS
1 x OCZ 2.5" to 3.5" Mounting Bracket For Solid State Drives

Also how does that setup look? I've had lots of great advice from you guys so far so hopefully it should be my optimum build. I'm getting a 7870 most probably aswell from a different supplier.

Looks good, more or less.

- I'd replace the G1 Sniper with a Maximus V Gene or an UD3H. I think I read somewhere that the M3 had a not so good power phase design.
- Replace the Freezer 7 Pro with a Hyper 212 Evo. AC is not known for performance CPU coolers.
- The mounting bracket is not necessary. You can drop the SSD wherever you want and it won't hurt the drive. It has no moving parts.
- Even though the CX is a Corsair, it's the lower end. I'd drop a little bit more of money here because, if you stay here, you'll want to get a Haswell, a Skylake... et caetera. You're gonna replace a lot of parts of your computer, but your PSU will stay there for 10 years at least.
- Get the m4 SSD if you can. OCZ had some problems with firmwares and I've developed a little bit of fear towards them.

i also see the asrock extreme 4 recommended alot, the mive isnt really needed unless your doing ln2 or dice benching

Hey thanks for the suggestions.

I've looked at the boards you said and they seem to get around the same marks out of 10 as the sniper m3 so I'll probably stick with the M3 unless there is any reason as to why another board would make a noticable difference??

Txus could you suggest a PSU instead?

Don't believe the marketing, the Gigabyte M3 doesn't really have any features above or beyond a regular motherboard. Another board won't make a noticeable difference, that's the point. Why spend $50 more when you can get an ASRock Extreme4 that does the same thing?

Hyper212+ is a noticeably better heatsink for not much more money.

OCZ SSDs come with a 2.5" to 3.5" bracket.

The only problem is ebyuer the place where I'm buying the other 10 items from don't stock the ASRock extreme 4 and I wanted to keep all my purchases from one location. Makes any returns alot easier.

I mean what about the Asus P8Z77-V LX

Wouldn't get the LX, only a 4+2 phase system. If not the Extreme4, go with the Gigabyte UD3H or the ASUS P8Z77-V (not the LE, LX, Plus, or anything on the end).

Thanks Knufire. I've already placed the order however it's still being picked so I can change it. However both the P8Z77 and UD3H are only £10 cheaper. Are they actually better than the Sniper m3 or is there nothing in it? If not them I'll just keep the Sniper and change to the better Cooler.

Yes, both the UD3H and P8Z77-V are better boards than the M3. The M3 only has a 4+2 phase system, the reason why I typically avoid the lower end ASUS boards. Phases are the power delivery section to the CPU, more phases means it can supply more power and run cooler doing it. The Extreme4, UD3H, and P8Z77-V are all 8+4 phase boards, you'd want that or better.

Ok I shall change it. I'm leaning towards the UD3H. Any point in getting the wifi version?

That would be the UD5H-WB, slightly more expensive board. If you want Wifi, probably a bit cheaper to get a PCI/PCIe adapter.

And will there be any problems should I upgrade to Windows 8 in October?

Haha. I'm abit worried that 600w will be abit low for my setup. What do you think knufire?

UPDATE**

Ok well I spoke with Ebuyer and apparently because the order has been packed they can't change it and even though it's sitting in their warehouse ready to be shipped there is nothing they can do to stop it. Seems strange to me. So I either have to decline the whole order when it arrives at my door or accept it and send back the mobo and cooler for a refund.

I'm thinking of ordering the UD3H and Hyper 212 now so it arrives the same time and just sending back the sniper m3 and other cooler when it arrives.

It's a lot of faffing around though. Will the UD3H make a noticable difference because I don't mind paying abit extra to save some trouble and also is the cooler I listed going to be just fine?

It'll work fine, you might not be able to OC as far. Also can't have Wifi and dual cards on the M3.

600W is fine unless you heavily OC the GPUs when you have two of them.

It says the M3 has SLI capabilities?

Why is the M3 £10 more expensive for less features?

You can do SLI, yes, but that takes up all the slots on the motherboard, so you can't do SLI/CFX and Wifi.

It's Gigabyte G1 branded. Just like ASUS Sabertooth costs more for no real benefit.

Back