• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this overkill for my E6420 system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morvak

Disabled
Hello! New guy here. ;-)

The more I read, the more I learn that the E6420 can reach higher FSB and OC easier than the E6600 and possibly the E6850. Am i right or am i right? ;-)

I'm totally new to all this OC stuff.

I'm looking to build a reasonably priced gaming rig that doesn't need extreme cooling and isn't more than $1500. I won't be running SLI. I'm not worried about upgrading to Penryn and DDR3 anytime soon so I don't need P35 (well at least one that's not $200). When I go to get a Penryn I'll upgrade my board to the latest revision of the X38 or who knows what and DDR3 then. Not worried about building for the future, not worried about the quad core either.

I'd like this machine to last me 1-2 years with decent framerate gaming with my GTS 8800 640. Something that I can get close to max settings on the latest games without having to play 800x600 is all I ask because I've been playing 1024x768 forever it seems (my current PC is like 6+ years old).

Here's my build:

- E6420
- GTS 8800 640k
- 150 raptor -or- two 7200.10 80gb Seagates in Raid 0
- P182
- Corsair 520HX
- Crucial Ballistix 2x1gb 800

Now my cooling:

- Thermalright 120 extreme

I hear you can OC the E6420 on stock cooling at 3ghz+, is this right?

If so, do I need 3rd party cooling? I don't mind buying it for the future and to keep my current CPU cool to last as long as possible.

Thanks in advance!

well, big chance you can get it on 3ghz with stock cooing, but your cpu will get pretty hot. I'd say a decent 3rd party will give you good temps for that oc.

The thermalright 120 x is just the king under aircoolers right now, if you want to treat you cpu with the lowest temps (better for the cpu) or you want the highest oc possible then that's the way to go

OK just wasn't sure if I needed to spend the money but really it's not that expensive anyway what was i thinking. Just wanted to make sure.

Edit: is this a decent HSF for my build? I hear it has machine issues and needs to be lapped which I am not attempting to do.

I am going with the Thermalright based on the 120 fan plus people saying it is better than the copper Zalman's.

???

Last edited:
Back