• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this too low for my PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

f00kie

Hey guys,

I've just tested my 2 year old PSU with a digital multimeter, and the results are as follows:

Idle: 11.80, 5.08, 3.38
Load: 11.60, 5.11, 3.38

This was done with a vcore of 1.575 on an Intel Pentium 4 HT processor overclocked 25%. I also tested the PSu by upping the voltage to 1.60 where the +12v dropped to 11.55 under load.

Should I get a new PSU? My current one only supports 18A on the +12v rail.

Thanks.

That is within specification but I wouldn't feel comfortable with it that low.

Systems these days are heavy on the +12v and you would do best to go with a +12v based PSU.

What is your budget for a PSU, and what are your future upgrade plans?

:welcome: to the forums.

Know Nuttin said:
That is within specification but I wouldn't feel comfortable with it that low.

Systems these days are heavy on the +12v and you would do best to go with a +12v based PSU.

What is your budget for a PSU, and what are your future upgrade plans?

:welcome: to the forums.

Thank you. :)

Well I have a PSU in mind right now, the OCZ ModStream 450W. It's currently on sale at NCIX (I'm from Ontario too btw), for about $80 I think. However, being a poor student, especially at this time of the year, I have to justify (especially to myself) such a buy.

Right now my CPU is at a 25% overclock, but I will be pushing it further, as soon as I get my new active northbridge cooler, which currently runs extremely hot. I am hoping I can hit 275FSB (from 200) without many problems, as my CPU temps are very low.

Anyway, that was slightly offtopic. I just don't want my components dying in the long run, as this computer will remain as my primary one for at least another 2 years (it's very fast as it is for me right now). The only thing that I might change down the road is add a harddrive or 2 for RAID - nothing spectacular.

Back