• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

its alive...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jacheatamobits

okay, i just switched out my mobo (kt4 ultra) for one with serial raid. boot up... nothing...

reset... bios loads normaly, except for a message saying "no cpu fan detected" i look, and its working fine. windows fails to load...

reset... same error message. the fan is running pretty slow, i thought, (im using a volcano 9, w/the auto fan speed sensor tucked in right next to the processor)

reset ... same error message.. windows loads normaly, and i even instal the raid driver.. fine, i guessed it was a setup glich or something...

now to check my idle temps... lets see..49.. 49?!?

i shutdown and feel my hsf... ive never felt something that hot coming out of anything but an oven. even the very top of the hs was very warm... i thought, oh no there goes $52.99... but i did away with the sensor, and went to try it again with the fan @ full spoeed...

then i nicked an edge off my cpu.. thats right, a whole corner... well, i might as well try, i thought.

windos loaded normal, and my temps are normal so far (despite a loss of like 5% of the cpu's surface...

ill post pics, but first: why did having the sensor so close to the cpu cause it to heat up so bad? i mean this hsf was so hot, i couldnt hold it for more than a couple seconds...

i think it wasnt making good enough contact, but the sensor is thinner than the cpu is high... plus, how can the hsf get so hot if its not making contact?, and last, why is my XP still alive?:eek:

glad you didnt end up with a $50 key chain lol. About the sensor, how think is it??? I had to trim down a thermal prob because it was a little to think and was interferring slightly with the HSF's contact on the chip. But it sounds more like the sensor was reading wrong making your fan run slow. 49C is still really hot though considering you weren't stressing the comp. I have to turn off my fan for a while before it heats up that much

dammit im running full speed and my volcano 9 keeps my 2400+ at 49.... what could i have done wrong in installation? im using as3 and ive got it paper thin on there, plus my v9 was lapped...

no the cpu must have been around 70, the sensor is about the width of 2 peices of paper. btw now its at 35 idle...wtf? considering the sensor was to blame for the bad contact, wouldnt it be making good enough contact with the hsf to therefore make the fan run faster?

umm, take it off and try again??? lol, dunno...maybe a little toooo conservative on the AS????

jacheatamobits said:
no the cpu must have been around 70, the sensor is about the width of 2 peices of paper. btw now its at 35 idle...wtf? considering the sensor was to blame for the bad contact, wouldnt it be making good enough contact with the hsf to therefore make the fan run faster?

Yea thats what I was saying....dosent make sense lol. Bad sensor maybe??

id like to no cuz this is too hot... especially when the chip o/c so well... i could get 2.4 if the v9 would work!

lemme make sure im running the fan full speed... it should be pullged into cpu_fan on the mobo and have the blue jumper on ??? right? thats what im on anyway should i take the jumper off?

Back