• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just An Idea.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

modenaf1

would it work if someone bought one of those little freezers, and built there pc inside it? wouldnt that be cheaper than a phase change or water cooling?

Wouldn't that be a bit of a pain whenever you wanted to put in a cd or a floppy disk, or anything else that you needed to access your computer for. If it would work, you have to turn off the fridge for hours to let your pc warm up before taking it out to work on .Condensation would definitly form if you just pulled it right out.

this has been discussed a thousand times, it wouldnt really work well since you would probably overpower the frezer... they arent designed to operate 24/7... it would help though, and as for condensation that is easily fixed:D

i know when i put my vga cards and crap in teh freezer that they get wate all over them. even when i seal them air tight with one of those vacums.

even if the hole thing was in the freezer the CPU and parts of the motherboard make heat. if they get hot enough they could heat up the air and liquify any water present.

oh, thanks, just an idea. ya know, im daydreaming about pc's in the very boring 8th grade, and once in a while i get an idea.

emericanchaos said:
even if the hole thing was in the freezer the CPU and parts of the motherboard make heat. if they get hot enough they could heat up the air and liquify any water present.

unless you put everything in at a LOWER temp than what the frezer gets to (like in a bigger frezer) and had the ice cleared out, then the amount of water in the air would be less than what the frezer can cause to condense... but wait we all know that hotter air can hold MORE water so your point is kinda wrong in teh first place... lol:D

Footba_SWAT5420 said:
how would you run cables out of the fridge anyway? seems like it would be hard to cut holes so that no cod escapes.

i would make a custom seal for the section where i would run bacles out... and you couldnt put HDD's in there- there is a min. temp for HDD's

I thought up of an idea similar to what you where thinking quite some time ago. The thing is, in order to ensure that the freezer could run for a long time without condensation, one would have to pump out all the air in the freezer (ala vacum). Also, such things as the hard-drive, CD-ROM drive, and floppy drive would have to be located out of the box.

When I attempted to do the actual thing, I was immediatly thwarted by the freezer's lack of strength to a vacum and the cooling unit itself, which made it remarkably difficult to cut any holes out of the case.

All in all, I can say that modding a fridge is definatly not a good idea.

Evil_Eye said:
I thought up of an idea similar to what you where thinking quite some time ago. The thing is, in order to ensure that the freezer could run for a long time without condensation, one would have to pump out all the air in the freezer (ala vacum). Also, such things as the hard-drive, CD-ROM drive, and floppy drive would have to be located out of the box.

When I attempted to do the actual thing, I was immediatly thwarted by the freezer's lack of strength to a vacum and the cooling unit itself, which made it remarkably difficult to cut any holes out of the case.

All in all, I can say that modding a fridge is definatly not a good idea.

you wouldnt need ot make a vacum (a vacum - if done right- would acrualy make it harder to cool the reasons have been explained before in the technical disscusion section:D) ... just do what i said before and be SURE it is sealed.

there are better ways to get better temps.

I initially thought of just sealing it up as well. The thing is, even if I where to seal the crate, there would still be moisture inside of the fridge and that could cause some frost. I decided to pump out the air to try to get rid of the moisture. I know I could have cutted out blowholes and gotten some air moving to prevent frost from building, but my main reason for initially trying to build my crate was to make a truly fanless computer (that and the fact that I wanted to keep holes coming out of my crate at a minimum).

P.S
I never got it to work right and it now lies as a botched project in my room. There are better ways to get better temps and this is not one of them.

Evil_Eye said:
I initially thought of just sealing it up as well. The thing is, even if I where to seal the crate, there would still be moisture inside of the fridge and that could cause some frost. I decided to pump out the air to try to get rid of the moisture. I know I could have cutted out blowholes and gotten some air moving to prevent frost from building, but my main reason for initially trying to build my crate was to make a truly fanless computer (that and the fact that I wanted to keep holes coming out of my crate at a minimum).

P.S
I never got it to work right and it now lies as a botched project in my room. There are better ways to get better temps and this is not one of them.

if you seal it in a VERY VERY cold environment (colder than the freezer will get) than the water will never condese becuse it wont get cold enough to condense it... unless it leaks and more moisture gets in (like i already said ;) ). and the frige would be as loud as fans anyways... maybe not constant though (though it prolly would be trying to cool a computer...)

Back