• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just completed my first 5900x built....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

Updated signature represents my current setup. Bios only changed DOCP for Crucial 3600 memory. Ran Cinebench and high temp only 63°C and Prime95 blend highest 72°C. Monitoring with CoreTemp, but I noticed something odd. The frequency only stays at default 3697MHz. I am using Windows High Performance Power Plan. On my friend's built with a 3900x and Ryzen High Performance Power Plan, I see it using some kind of boost clock reaching close to 4200MHz.

Anyone know why my 5600x doesn't boost clocks? Like I said everything is on Auto in Bios. Thanks

Last edited:
You should be seeing boosting over 4.5Gz in single core. If you're running a multi core workload then you won't get as high, but you should still see clocks over 4GHz. Prime95 might keep the clocks down just because it's so taxing.

I would try another monitoring software for starters. You could even look in Task Manager, but I use HWiNFO64. It will tell you what (if any) power limitations you're hitting and what each core is boosting to. I would first start with a single core workload as that should definitely boost, if not something odd is going on.

Is your bios up to date to a version supporting Zen3? AMD drivers installed and up to date?

You might have to look around, look for things like precision boost 2 (not precision boost overdrive) and XFR or extreme frequency range.

Zer has it....

....Stress tests the cores run slower. Leave it at the desktop with beinfo running for a while and see what peak clocks are. ;)

...be sure that all your drivers and bios is up to date..:thup:

The mobo may require PBO to be enabled before it clocks up to 4.5+

Thanks! I haven't change anything yet, installed Ryzen Master and this is what it shows under Cinebench running in multi and single.

Attachments

• 20211124_151224.jpg
    20211124_151224.jpg
    862.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 20211124_152327.jpg
    20211124_152327.jpg
    886 KB · Views: 128
I think I broke something :(. After finishing up with my friends PC, it was time to play with mine as seen on my sig. I can't go past 3.6GHz on Cinebench single core anyomre and its throwing 1.22v max. Going to set bios to default, but I didn't change anything, bummer!

Okay a reset of the bios think did the trick. What is a good manual OC and not trying to push it to the limits. Would you say maybe 4.5Ghz? Multiplyer of 45 @ 1.3v? I hate seeing the frequencies jump all over the place especially in Cinebench and some times takes longer than the set time to finish the task. I did read about Ryzen CPU degradation, is that the case for all OC levels?

I think I broke something :(. After finishing up with my friends PC, it was time to play with mine as seen on my sig. I can't go past 3.6GHz on Cinebench single core anyomre and its throwing 1.22v max. Going to set bios to default, but I didn't change anything, bummer!

This was probably because of Ryzen Master. I have had similar problems with it.

I managed to set multiplier to 46 and vCore to 1.3v in Bios and ran Cinebench23. Both single core and multi finished successfully. Max temp on Multi was 80c. Both score are on par with Stock, so don't know if its worth the Manual OC. Maybe I should just run Stock but set vCore to 1.3v to avoid extra head from high voltage. Read about the CPU degredation, so don't know if its worth it. What do you think?

With the new AMD CPUs, it's worthwhile exploring the PBO offsets and curve optimizer Vs setting a static clock. The intent is to push the all-core and single-core boosts higher and at the same time reduce the auto voltage. You'll also need to increase the current levels. I wouldn't worry too much about degradation at those levels. AMD is quite vague about it but in my testing and lit they recommend 1.35V but at the same time say 1.45V is OK but may reduce CPU life span.

Been looking at threads and YouTube videos to get some idea on how to start with PBO settings but I can't seem to find a good starting point as none of this is familiar territory. I've barely been on a AMD rig this year as my 1st was an AMD 1600 @ 4.0Ghz manual OC running 24/7.

Guys I've gave up on OC now I think I broke something. CPU-Z is now showing a fixed multiplier of 46 and frequency of 4500-=4600ish. Bios is set to default cause of another problem that happened with my board not turning controlling FAN PWM's. I'm freaking out :bang head

I've reset bios to default, I've reflashed bios, nothing reverses the behavior. I'm to a point thinking returning either the CPU or MB, but don't know what is faulty.

CPU doesn't affect fans.
Mobo is most likely, or a setting you're missing in the bios, or a third party software you're running.

Thanks guys, issue has been fixed, fingers crossed I don't encounter it again. Clearing CMOS fixed it. For now I'm gonna run stock, maybe later revisit some OC. I do want to learn maybe tweaking the Bios setting for memory and power management.

Hey guys I switched from a Scythe Fuma 2 to a Thermalright PA120 heatsink and honestly I don't remember how apart my cpu core temp were, but I've mouted the PA120 twice and always get the same results in CPU temp variations. At idle they are the same,, but not on load Prime95, Is this normal?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211227-194449_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211227-194449_Gallery.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20211227-194455_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211227-194455_Gallery.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 7
Idle temps are largely irrelevant. :)

It's normal to see a temperature variance between cores of a few to several degrees.

Ok thanks was trying to set a reference point to show if it's my cpu mount or thermal paste spread as idles go all back to same temp quickly.

Back