• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just did a PSU test and FAILED!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

//:mC.n

Registered
r1hcva.jpg

I have been having issues with my computer shutting down by itself as of late when I have been gaming. It will post F.F. and then shut down by itself and reboot like nothing happened. At times it seems like it gets a surge then then will not shut down no matter what. I have to flip the switch on the PSU to turn it off.

I was troubleshooting everything, then bought a PSU tester. I got these results that said it was a bad supply.

Wondering if anyone can help me translate what the exact issues is. Thanks

Do you have the 4 pin (or 4+4 pin) cpu connector plugged in?

Which psu tester are you using?

Last edited:
That's a single rail PSU, all the readings look good. They're all within ATX spec.

FF is a generic error. Try reseating the CPU and memory.

FF isn't an error at all. It means hardware all passed post and will now attempt boot to the OS. ;)

That PSU tester will read bad if the outlet the PSU is plugged into isn't wired properly, or if it's plugged into a UPS.

Last edited:
It's a Rosewill PSU tester on a Rosewill PSU. It is a single rail PSU. Didn't have the 4 pin Molex plugged in, just the 24 Pin connection with everything else unplugged from all components.

I recently installed a NZXT Kraken 60 watercooler so I already reset the CPU. I took the RAM out and reset one stick each time, switched out and reset for each stick by them self. No problems.

One thing I am thinking is when I previously overclocked, I did a NorthBridge overclock instead of just upping the multiplier. I had to change a lot of settings in the BIOS to make sure it was stable. When I had the surge, next time I rebooted the OC failed. I updated the BIOS to the most recent release. I'm wondering if that did something to my OC profile and made the power unstable. After resetting the RAM, I went ahead and redid the Northbridge OC the same way I did before. I took my CPU to 4.4ghz without any voltage changes just to see how it goes. Idles at 27c and Prime maxed it out at 47c. So far so good. I haven't had a problem while gaming at all today. Got a hold of Rosewill anyway. I have a 5 year warranty on my PSU so they will let me get credit towards another PSU. Prolly switch it out for a Lightning 1000w. Asus is sending me a new board so that should take care of any issues I might have.

There is some stuff that is called C4.

What ya do is out a blob if that in your rig with an ignition item of your choice.

Then move off about 1000 yards, Yell NERDDDDDDD !!!!!!! loudly.

Push the button and the problem solved.

There is some stuff that id called C4.

What ya do is out a blob if that in your rig with an ignition item of your choice.

Then move off about 1000 yards yards, Yell NERDDDDDDD !!!!!!! loudly.

Push the button and the problem solved.

Why do you insist on following me around the site and making senseless comments that have nothing to do with the topic, let alone any value in this community? I have never had an issue with anyone here until you. Everyone has been more than helpful every time I have needed it. With as much experience that you have here, I'd expect better from you.

I have not followed you around, I just watch what is going on in the forums and post as I see fit I guess.

:shrug:

About only the third time I've posted to any of your threads at all, if even that many.

Just ignore mode now sorry.

:chair:

Last edited:
I've only posted two threads recently...and a mod has already deleted some of your post in them. Sorry about the nerd title. I am a nerd too if it really hurt your feelings.

I'm a former United States Marine actually, they are not usually considered nerds. The attitude probably miffed me off at first.

Cool then.

:)

GL

Last edited:
I am a veteran myself...Didnt realize I had an attitude..I'm actually pretty chill. May be a little agitated with my computer acting up, but I thought the title made it evident I was in good spirits.

::Virtual hand shake::
All good here.

Too much testosterone on here.... Mind you, I've nothing worthiwhile to contribute to the thread....

Back