• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got my $215 PNY 8800GTS 320MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scant7

Hi all, just installed this massive card. Here are some comparisons to my previous card (X800XL)

edit: I'm using nVidia's latest drivers

3DMARK 05

X800XL:4974 8800GTS:7194

3DMARK 06

X800XL:1736 8800GTS:4630

FEAR MAX SETTINGS VSYNC ON 1680x1050 Test Run

X800XL: min-18, ave-27, max-60 8800GTS: min-36, ave-55, max-62

Are these scores about right for my CPU? I know my CPU is a major bottleneck, but I'm waiting for the 1333Mhz cpu's and the new Intel chipset coming out towards the end of this year.

Also I have a question about Nvidia's PureVideo HD capabilities...I read that this card can take off the entire strain of the CPU when playing HD video... and that it has some sort of built in device which can maximize and improve video quality... yet I see none of these options in the control panel.

Last edited:
wow, your CPU is a MAJOR bottleneck!!! in my opinion. a 3dmark05 score of 7194 is actually pretty low. i scored higher with an overclocked x850xt and opteron 148... =/ it could also have some to do with your ram... can you OC more? with each little bit of CPU/ram OC, you'll see your 3dmark scores go up a lot... i doubt you even have to OC your vcard, considering the rest of your hardware.

i don't have an answer to the HD stuff... wish i knew more to help ya...

Yes it is a bottleneck but I wouldn't worry too much. Apparently Crysis runs at max with 8800 series card and a single core processor.

Purevision does offload a lot of video processing to the gpu. However Purevision HD is currently only available for Vista, and only the g84 cards can offload the "entire strain".

CrazyIrish said:
Purevision does offload a lot of video processing to the gpu. However Purevision HD is currently only available for Vista, and only the g84 cards can offload the "entire strain".
you know this thread was the first i heard of it (for the most part... i'd MAYBE seen just the name)... that is a pretty cool feature.

so when would you need to use that? if you use your PC as an HTPC, or if you have a bluray/hd-dvd player in your PC??

I thought there was some feature though that would make even divx/xvid/mpegs look better by making the image sharper and reducing jagged lines... am I wrong?

And doesn't the 8800GTS have some sort of really good HD/Blueray decoder and how can I take advantage of it?

FEAR slowls down quite a bit in some instances... to where it's unplayable. This is with No Soft Shadows, No FSAA or AA or AF, and with everything else at about maximum. What would be good to change in the graphics options without reducing visual quality that would boost my FPS?

Also... nothing in my computer is overclocked... I'll oc a bit and then rebench later...

Hmm something seems not right with your setup. I score almost 9k STOCk with the setup in my sig. Thats onlya 7900gs compaired to a 8800gts. Not matter how much of a bottleneck your CPU is, i don't see it killing your 05 score that much. 05 is majority gpu based like 03 was, so the bottleneck shouldn't give you a score that low.

EDIT: Here is the link to my score... http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=2925094

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i know his problem.

dude, Scant7, did you run DRIVER CLEANER PRO 1.5??? If not, click on that link and download.

You'll receive a zip file with 2 txt files and an executable in there. The exe is for installing the program. Of the two TXT files, just read the README.txt... it'll explain to you the process.

Basically, you need uninstall ALL video drivers, reboot to safemode, run the drivercleaner, and then go with your video driver install.

If you haven't done so, I guarantee your scores go up!!

I would recommend doing a drivercleaner on both ATI and nVidia drivers. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T CLEAN NVIDIA CHIPSET (NFORCE) DRIVERS IF YOUR MOBO HAS IT!!!

Hope this helps.

And for reference:

ATI:
1. Unplug nic card or modem from net or disconnect
2. Remove ATI driver from add/remove programs then remove the control panel from add/remove programs
3. Reboot into safe mode (F8 during boot up)
4. On reboot into safe mode WinXP SP1/SP2 will auto detect and install drivers. Just let it do its thing. If you can cancel out of the auto install hardware wizard then skip the rest and run Driver Cleaner! If you can NOT cancel out of auto detect wizard then...
5. Navigate to device manager->display adapter->uninstall and/or remove ATI display adapter but do not reboot
6. Disable any AntiVirus Software (If you don't disable is than it could give trouble)
7. Run Cab Cleaner (not needed, but recommended)
8. Run Driver Cleaner
9. Empty recycle bin and reboot
10. Install the new drivers and control panel

nVidia:
1. Unplug nic card or modem from net or disconnect
2. Remove nvidia from add/remove programs
3. Reboot into safe mode (F8 during boot up)
4. On reboot into safe mode WinXP SP1/SP2 will auto detect and install drivers. Just let it do its thing. If you can cancel out of the auto install hardware wizard then skip the rest and run Driver Cleaner! If you can NOT cancel out of auto detect wizard then...
5. Navigate to device manager->display adapters->highlight nVidia and click uninstall or remove but don't reboot
6. Disable any AntiVirus Software (If you don't disable is than it could give trouble)
7. Run Cab Cleaner (not needed, but recommended)
8. Run Driver Cleaner
9. Empty recycle bin and reboot
10. Install the new drivers

I did use some kind of driver cleaner program before I installed my nvidia drivers. I formatted my comp not too long ago and have never had anything other than my x800xl so all i did was erase all ati drivers. i think i might have to reformat again because my computer is acting crazy.

are there major problems with x-fi xtrememusic and the 8800? ...because somehow my sound settings are getting farked up. for instance, the other night i was going to play a movie and there was no sound. i checked to see if my speakers were plugged in right and they were, so i unplugged and replugged them in for the hell of it. after i did this there was a crazy high pitch sound coming from my speakers but no sound. so i restarted my computer... still nothing... so i restarted my computer again... and i had my sound back. also for some reason my sound card is started to switch modes automatically. i checked my sound settings earlier and i was in game mode, even though i had no played any game at all. i switched back to entertainment mode and all my settings were changed (said 2.1 instead of 4.1, crystalizer was off, and my 3d settings were screwed up (was set on stereo xpand instead of stereo surround)

so i oc'd my cpu to 3.15ghz and my 3dmark05 score went up to 7457. took me a few times though because 3dmark crashed to desktop and i got the whole send error report thing. couldn't finish 3dmark06... everything ran pretty smooth, but at the last test (the snowy level) it crashed to desktop at the very last part and i got the error report msg again.

not sure what to do at this point... anyways... happy 420 all.

get rid of the Pentium 4

i have a 4200+ athlon am2 cpu (2.2 ghz stock) i overclocked it to 2.48 and i get about 11000 in 3d marks 05 and im useing a 7900 gt ko supperclocked.

if you get a new cpu your scores will jump ALOT

i would go for the c2d's but im kinda a amd fan so im sticking with amd.

you can get the same cpu that i have (runs great for what i do) for 99 bucks new on new egg.

if you plan on playing dx10 games (which i belive you are going to) i would just go for the e6600 c2d. it will be better off in the long run.

i plan on getting a amd 6000+ soon. cant wait :D 3.0 ghz stock HERE I COME :)

I got in on that same deal a couple days ago and I got 8200 in 06 without adjusting ANY settings on the card, let alone oc'ing it.

LiveSideways said:
I got in on that same deal a couple days ago and I got 8200 in 06 without adjusting ANY settings on the card, let alone oc'ing it.

NICE

btw i LOVE your avatar

was playing FEAR and noticed this weird pattern given off by only those type of lights in the game.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/exospire/wtfffffffffffff.jpg

wtfffffffffffff.jpg

is this a known problem or is there something wrong with my setup?

the game probably loaded the shader's wrong. try loaded the same level again

Continued my campaign in Far Cry for the first time since getting this new card, and put all the settings to Ultra High with AA and AF... loaded the server and it was playing fine until it crashed to windows and gave me some Critical Exception error 0xC0000005. Thought it might be a problem with the AA or AF so I turned it off... tried it again and eventually got the same error. Installed FRAPS to see what my FPS looks like... and its a solid 90-100 FPS, but now I can't even play at all when I load the game because it crashes within seconds. Could Far Cry somehow still be thinking I have an ATI card?

Back