• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got my $215 PNY 8800GTS 320MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I have some good news. I went to play Far Cry, FEAR, and CS:Source today and each game would crash within 1-3 minutes. I was afraid my new video card was defective or there was some incompatability somewhere, so I got prime95 and ran it... I got an error within 5 seconds! Something had to be wrong... so I clocked my cpu back to normal and ran it again, and same thing.

I went into BIOS and looked at my ram settings, and for some reason they were all at 3, and I was in some kind of 'Extreme Performance Mode'. My memory is rated at 4-4-4-whatever, so those things must have been thirsty for power when I oc'd a bit. Anyways, I disabled the performance mode, replaced the memory timings with all 4's... overclocked my cpu 240 mhz (don't laugh) and ran prime95 stable for 5 hours without any errors. Played Far Cry for a while and no crashes!

So that's the good news. Now I'm going to overclock some more and see what kind of 3dMark05 score I can get out of this.

Scant7 said:
Well I have some good news. I went to play Far Cry, FEAR, and CS:Source today and each game would crash within 1-3 minutes. I was afraid my new video card was defective or there was some incompatability somewhere, so I got prime95 and ran it... I got an error within 5 seconds! Something had to be wrong... so I clocked my cpu back to normal and ran it again, and same thing.

I went into BIOS and looked at my ram settings, and for some reason they were all at 3, and I was in some kind of 'Extreme Performance Mode'. My memory is rated at 4-4-4-whatever, so those things must have been thirsty for power when I oc'd a bit. Anyways, I disabled the performance mode, replaced the memory timings with all 4's... overclocked my cpu 240 mhz (don't laugh) and ran prime95 stable for 5 hours without any errors. Played Far Cry for a while and no crashes!

So that's the good news. Now I'm going to overclock some more and see what kind of 3dMark05 score I can get out of this.

I'm not trying to put you down or tell you that you don't know how to OC, but...

Easy Method (semi-thorough):
To get a decent, stable OC, you need to first try to max out your FSB. I would lower CPU multi at least 1 notch, maybe 2, set RAM to 1:1 (if it does that on stock settings), and push the FSB from there...

Then, you know where your RAM and your mobo can top out... you can then adjust chipset and ram voltages to see if you can push more, and not that I know much of INTEL, but if there are other multis involved maybe you can lower them. Write down this FSB/RAM value once achieved. Now, you can either play with RAM timings vs RAM voltage, or you can move onto the CPU and set the multiplier up slowly...

This way you figure out how well your ram can do BEFORE you overclock the entire system. If you overclock the entire system all at once, you'll never know what component is holding you back. Remember, there is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS more tweaking left untouched (in my eyes).

You need to isolate components when you OC... then when you have your values, you consolidate.

Hope I didn't offend you... unfortunately, it's tough to tell who has great experience in OCing and who doesn't. We should have an OC RANK in our avatars!! :D

Scant7 said:
I went into BIOS and looked at my ram settings, and for some reason they were all at 3, and I was in some kind of 'Extreme Performance Mode'. My memory is rated at 4-4-4-whatever, so those things must have been thirsty for power when I oc'd a bit. Anyways, I disabled the performance mode, replaced the memory timings with all 4's... overclocked my cpu 240 mhz (don't laugh) .

AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA! 240 MHZ!

"Welcome... to the last level."

Hehehehehehe!

...I'm just joking with you. :)

I think I got about the same OC with my Sempron Socket A 2600+ (1833mhz OC to 2.2ghz...)

No offense taken g0dman. I'm not really trying to play around with voltages, and I'm not sure if I can lower the multi with my motherboard. Anyways, what's weird is that I can't even change any setting in my BIOS right now. Whenever I try to change my FSB or even disable the FSB overclock, it brings me to some weird page and all it says it tao... but it looks like it's in some weird language because theres a > and some weird symbol before the word 'tao' and the word 'tao' has a bar over the a and o... like ASCII symbols.

wtfd.jpg

Last edited:
what the heck? lol

i'm sure someone's gotta know what that is... maybe it's a secret code to unlocking the BEAST within your mobo!!!

yeah isn't that crazy?

anyways, i'm going to format soon... and i have a 80gb western digital w/ 8mb cache sata hdd, a 120gb wd ide hdd, and a 250gn wd hdd w/ 16mb cache sata hdd... right now my os is installed on the 80gb, i recently got the 250gb drive and was wondering if i installed the os on this hdd if things would run any faster? i'm assuming the best way would be to make a partition, but i'm not sure how big of a partition i should make. if you think the 80gb would be better to install the os on, can you explain why?

Last edited:
If the hard drives are the same speed, I'd put the OS on the 80 and everything else on the 250, but you may be able to squeeze more out of them if you can do matrix raid, that stuffs cool...
Anyway, the PurevideoHD thing you were talking about, and making even divx movies look better actually exists. Not within nVidia or anything, but ffdshow is a software upscaler for computers. I haven't played around with it very much as I'm on a laptop right now, but if you set it up correctly, it can yield excellent results. The HTPC subforum ( that's OCF right? I'm not getting confused am I? ) helps out a lot. Upgrading to a dual core would let you run FFDshow on one core, and everything else on another, but that's another path. Good luck with the format.

Edit: Whew, right forum, lol

The only differences between the drives is that the 80gb one has 8mb cache whereas the 250gb has 16mb cache... would the extra cache not make things more speedy?

i can't do matrix raid with my current setup but it is something i am looking forward to trying out in the future.

i have ffdshow (well actually i have CCCP which includes ffdshow) but there are so many settings, and i have no idea which settings i would want, etc... so i guess thats something i will have to investigate later on. i just thought nvidia had some sort of special thing for playing videos because they advertise it on the back of their box...

AFAIK, cache size is really only important for server style transactions, but I'm not too sure ( little help here? ) Its mostly a housekeeping action to put the OS on its own drive, that way if windows takes a poop, all you have to do is reformat and reinstall, and not lose all your movies/documents/saved games/pr0n/etc... As to whether its faster, that's debatable ( and I'm sure someone has done the tests around here ).

yeah thanks for reminding me. i'm waiting for the intel 6450 to come out, at which time i'll have to swoop a new motherboard, and ram, and possibly a new psu.... gah... for now,i drink. :beer:

Back