• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Putzen Round

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
just toasted at a mear 2.6v, .4v and it gave up the ghost?????? = I asked him why he put that much V on hard to find ram and he said...wait for it...Because he could. I like to have fell out of my chair. Hehehe. C_because he can_D.:rofl::grouphug::rofl:

RGone...:ty:

Well he still has the second set I sent .........:popcorn:

This Forum has seemed to be losing it's sense of humor a lot lately...

I don't mean the thread

I know what you mean, but I think it's more of a "certain people" and "at the right place and time" thing. Some threads are intended to be fun, others are a stick to the point thing. Which is why threads like this one are refreshing at times. Kinda gets you away from the mundane grind.

I know what you mean, but I think it's more of a "certain people" and "at the right place and time" thing. Some threads are intended to be fun, others are a stick to the point thing. Which is why threads like this one are refreshing at times. Kinda gets you away from the mundane grind.

I expect Mongrel and Blaylock are both somewhat accurate. Things have sort of slowed since the influx of new people with 'new' stuff around the Christmas buying season. Actual new posts for help have slowed and many are posts now with cpus that are 5 and 6 years old. There is nostalgia in the older cpus but for most that is sort of it. We have to scratch our heads and try and find older records of what was done half a decade ago. Heck that is like a millinea ago in computerdom with seeming planned obsolescence.

Another thing is that I suspect many of the AMD performance desktop users are looking hard at performance Intel stuff. Off and On for at least a year now, I have been looking at Intel socket 2011. In fact I just came across a review last night that I had never read before and the review conclusions for use of socket 2011 were just about 180 out from what I had in my own mind. Gave me real pause. Especially since socket 2011 is pretty pricey for parts and pieces. I think AMD's move toward only APUs has taken the pizzaz out of the performance corner for some of us with AMD tendancies. They have tempered my enthusiasm some or it feels like it. That means I am less enthusiastic perhaps in writing helps for AMD stuff. Human nature I guess.
RGone...ster. :bang head:bump:

Mandrake, you're gonna make me have to torture my poor old chip.... again. Once I've recovered enough to be up to it again of course. Gotta say it's hard enough trying to do 8 hr days at work while going through this without anything else going on.

Behave or I'll have to pull off a miracle recovery and perform some wicked malpractice on my little chip.

Well here is to you getting healthy enough to feed those chips the voltage they need. :cheers:

I expect Mongrel and Blaylock are both somewhat accurate. Things have sort of slowed since the influx of new people with 'new' stuff around the Christmas buying season. Actual new posts for help have slowed and many are posts now with cpus that are 5 and 6 years old. There is nostalgia in the older cpus but for most that is sort of it. We have to scratch our heads and try and find older records of what was done half a decade ago. Heck that is like a millinea ago in computerdom with seeming planned obsolescence.

Another thing is that I suspect many of the AMD performance desktop users are looking hard at performance Intel stuff. Off and On for at least a year now, I have been looking at Intel socket 2011. In fact I just came across a review last night that I had never read before and the review conclusions for use of socket 2011 were just about 180 out from what I had in my own mind. Gave me real pause. Especially since socket 2011 is pretty pricey for parts and pieces. I think AMD's move toward only APUs has taken the pizzaz out of the performance corner for some of us with AMD tendancies. They have tempered my enthusiasm some or it feels like it. That means I am less enthusiastic perhaps in writing helps for AMD stuff. Human nature I guess.
RGone...ster.
To add to this, Rgone, it also seems like the crypto craze has taken over the forum, which also feels like the dot.com craze to me.

To add to this, Rgone, it also seems like the crypto craze has taken over the forum, which also feels like the dot.com craze to me.

You maybe very correct there "manny". I just got a report in about how much one bud was able to bank back after some use of his crypto-crazing and it did not make me need to run out and get some video cards. Hehehe.
RGone...

It has definitely taken over the bulk of my time. I don't think I've run a single benchmark since downloading my bitcoin wallet. I think it's because I'm looking at my rigs as a source of extra income now instead of a play thing. However there is a real association in the two when trying to find your maximum hash rate. You need to find the sweet spot. I have learned a lot about my systems in the last 2 months and when this craze blows over ( and I believe it will) I'll have a better understanding of what's what, at least with my GPU's. And I'll have some more play things to try and burn up. But I doubt I'll ever add 2.6v to anything, but you never really know.....hmmmmm

Edit: I still have some ideas in the back of my head for sub zero air cooling. Maybe a summer project to complete before next winter. Hehehehe.

Yes Blaylock and we only have time for so many little projects. Once you were set up you needed to kepp it that way none of this parts in parts out oops broke one oh ya that's C_D. You know what I mean.
So I take it the 2011 isn't all you thought RGone?? They're nice but not that much better than their mainstream cousins, just a few more cores, which might be good for your video stuffs???

For me 4930K is overclocking better, have more cores/threads, runs at lower temps and is generally better than any haswell that I had ... but it's already old and CPUs cost a lot ( 4 core 2011 have no point ).
On the other hand 1150/1155 CPUs cost less but their owners are replacing them more often while those who bought 4930K some weeks after premiere can still be happy till end of this year as there won't be anything better till then ... so at the end 6 cores don't cost so much more.

AMD looks cheaper but you need much better cooling so you spend more in total than for Intel to achieve the same performance. Most users look that AMD is cheaper but they never count additional costs and just because of that AMD is bad idea no matter what are you doing on your PC.
Sadly AMD is working more to improve their SoC lines and I doubt they will make anything good for desktops soon. They're like 3 years late refreshing the same bad ideas all the time. Even their APU series aren't so great or really cheap.

In a way...

...in some respects what Woomack says is sort of what I am mulling over in my mind. I think the IvyBridge E's overclock better and I think what I read last night may explain it.

Copied:
The problem with the desktop Haswell-based CPUs is that they have inferior thermal interface material between the CPU cap and the CPU die. It is therefore difficult to cool them - they quickly overheat when overclocked, so their overclocking potential is far from impressive.

It’s different with the LGA2011 CPUs. Intel employs fluxless soldering for them, so the CPU die transfers its heat to the CPU cap via indium-based solder. That’s why the success of your overclocking an Ivy Bridge-E CPU depends on your cooler's efficiency and is not limited by any other factors.
End Copy.

That finally makes some sense to me in that why would I want a Hazewell to have to go thru 2 or 3 cheaper Hazewell's to find one that really clocks without so much heat. Heck I already have a "heater". Hehehe. "Hokie" pretty much explained what you can expect when you purchase a Hazewell in that you can get one of about 5 different acting cpus. I am not up for that not even for better benches. Not hardly.

I, just as Woomack states, cannot tell how long a 4.8Ghz IvyBridge E would be running up toward the front. Not since I have a good 4.8Ghz 8 core FX setup. So no it is about what I considered with socket 2011 in that it is not cheap for the "adjustablility" and now I stumble at how long it would be close to the front. Just not so sure any move is worth at this time.
RGone...ster.

Well as I've said before, i have one of those really hot 4770k, I can go as far as 4.4 stable 2 hours prime with the cooling in my sig. Johan's 4770k runs about 10c cooler then mine on this Thermaltake 2.0 with his set at a lower voltage. That said mine seems to clock a bit higher 100-200 mhz then Johans at less voltage when run on the subambient water.

From my experience with it, you really need to get a good one to run in the upper 4's on really good cooling. So far other then in benching I'm not all that impressed with it. In daily usage including gaming I don't see a difference between the 4770k and the 8350 and the 8350 is much more fun to OC. The 4770k I have is a little whiny you know what. If things aren't set just perfectly when overclocking it just craps out. The 8350 I feel like there is always hope to be able to push it higher.

Many haswells can run @4.2GHz 1.15-1.2V on stock box cooler and performance is about the same as 5GHz FX. Actually I was making last memory reviews with CPU on box cooler and I always use 4.2GHz so all my result database is on similar setup ( also easy to compare for readers as 4.2GHz is easy to set ).

I had FX8120 which was stable @4.7GHz 1.32-1.35V. Later I had FX8320 which was worse but could also run stable @4.7GHz. The main issue was huge amount of heat what I noticed when it went to my daily pc. I had 3x120mm heatspreader with ~1k RPM fans and it wasn't enough ... to the point that my pump was overheating and was stopping from time to time. So FX could run in my daily pc @4-4.2GHz max what is not much above stock clocks. I just sold all AMD when I had good offer.

For me AMD CPUs are only nice toys for overclocking on cold ( and I mean LN2 as FX can easily overload SS after OC ). In everything else are worse than Intel no matter how you look at it.

Many haswells can run @4.2GHz 1.15-1.2V on stock box cooler and performance is about the same as 5GHz FX. Actually I was making last memory reviews with CPU on box cooler and I always use 4.2GHz so all my result database is on similar setup ( also easy to compare for readers as 4.2GHz is easy to set ).

I had FX8120 which was stable @4.7GHz 1.32-1.35V. Later I had FX8320 which was worse but could also run stable @4.7GHz. The main issue was huge amount of heat what I noticed when it went to my daily pc. I had 3x120mm heatspreader with ~1k RPM fans and it wasn't enough ... to the point that my pump was overheating and was stopping from time to time. So FX could run in my daily pc @4-4.2GHz max what is not much above stock clocks. I just sold all AMD when I had good offer.

For me AMD CPUs are only nice toys for overclocking on cold ( and I mean LN2 as FX can easily overload SS after OC ). In everything else are worse than Intel no matter how you look at it.

Johan, in yellow for you bud. Confirming that chat at CP for ya there ;)

In red, LET THE TRUTH BE TOLD!!

went to micro center (drove there of course) and bought the 3770K and AsRocl Ex4 and was just tickled pink purple and every other color I don't like. Just clobbered AMD Phenom and FX for just about anything except certain circumstances where my GTX 480 was the bottle neck and not the processors.

So I've been freezing with a TEC cooler. Getting as low as -11c with 2 cores running and Over 5ghz, it's just plain fun fun fun. Easy to get clocks, but for the most part, the AMD FX rig just sits until I Putz (pun intended) with it.

Tonight the 20L Dewar is full and waiting. I'm not expecting 8ghz, but I'm hoping for over 6ghz with a 4300-FX which btw does not clock like the 8 cores do even only running 2 cores. I do have some fun cut out for me. Had it up to 5.4ghz on the TEC benched at 5.3ghz and was shakey with just -11c idle temps. It'll be interesting to see what -150c will do :D

Game on :attn:

I would think that 6ghz should be cakewalk on Ln2. Good luck with that. I wish I could work in a Ln2 session.

I would think that 6ghz should be cakewalk on Ln2. Good luck with that. I wish I could work in a Ln2 session.

Many Thanks for the Luck.

Currently running 6ghz and posting this to you guys. Hit a max clock so far of 6.6ghz.

Gonna see if I can't squeeze in a benchmark or two, but I have plenty of LN2 to spare so I can always come on back to the bench tomorrow...

But for now. http://valid.x86.fr/rmz7t3

Not bad for sub 50$ motherboard huh fellas?

Attachments

• FX-4300 6600mhz I.png
    FX-4300 6600mhz I.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 53
The action -

I made this LN/DICE pot ftw, not store bought.

Attachments

• IMG_20140319_232431[1].jpg
    IMG_20140319_232431[1].jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20140319_232136[1].jpg
    IMG_20140319_232136[1].jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 49
CPU is just asking for 2V :) .. but the board says nooooo ...

I had max ~6080MHz on SS with FX8120 and it was pretty good chip but I sold it. If I had good access to LN2 and reasonable prices then I would probably keep AMD/FX.

Back