• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Putzen Round

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not to get off topic, in any hurry, or that I'm not pre-occupied accomplishing little with router.

has anyone tried a decent singe stage phase change cooler, probably able to handle 125watt cpu, to somehow chill watercooling reservoir?
I have in nearby storage, kinda junked ocz cryo-z I used on a phenom2 970 BE.

Have since bypass temp sensors and what not, cooler runs max output direct.

digging around in my spare parts box, i found a couple of old CPU's that i forgot that i had!
athlon 64 3700+
View attachment 166153
and an anthlon 64 x2 5600+ that i started to attempt to lap, but then my house got robbed, and the pc was stolen, so i never got around to finishing lapping it
View attachment 166154

Just de-lid it. There's no solder, it'll "pop" right off. replace the TIM and re-use or Just put the water block right on the silicone :thup:

Just de-lid it. There's no solder, it'll "pop" right off. replace the TIM and re-use or Just put the water block right on the silicone :thup:

dont think i have an am2 motherboard anymore.
would the 3700+ delid like that? i have a mobo for that chip im pretty sure.

I believe the 3700+ is a San Diego chip. socket 939.... I has a board for that :D

And you bet it would de-lid just like that. Gently cut the glue around the edges with a razor and the top should pop right off. The did that with socket 754 through 939 and up to a 6000+ Athlon AM2 cpu. No solder. The Athlon 6400+ AM2, All Phenom based chips and FX chips are soldered.

yeah, 939 i have a board for them.
i thought i had an am2 board around here somewhere too, but i sure cant find it.
unless its sitting in a box in storage somewhere.
am3+, 939, and i think maybe even 754 i have boards for. at least i used to have a 754 board, first pc i ever built myself was socket 754.
and i'll have to give it a try, just pop it off with the razer?

^^^^^:rofl:^^^^^^^

That smoke you see is from Silver's Water Bong :thup: He said he was going to put some dye in it to see how far the smoke went:chair:

Not to get off topic...This is the Putzen Thread. Topics are...Relaxed
has anyone tried a decent singe stage phase change cooler, probably able to handle 125watt cpu, to somehow chill watercooling reservoir? Generally you mount the SS directly to the CPU. No need for a rad.

I believe the 3700+ is a San Diego chip. socket 939.... I has a board for that :D

And you bet it would de-lid just like that. Gently cut the glue around the edges with a razor and the top should pop right off. The did that with socket 754 through 939 and up to a 6000+ Athlon AM2 cpu. No solder. The Athlon 6400+ AM2, All Phenom based chips and FX chips are soldered.

My X2 3800+ Windsor was soldered Shrimpy.

My X2 3800+ Windsor was soldered Shrimpy.

For real? Could you send it my way for.examination and perhaps a de lidding?

- - - Updated - - -

For real? Could you send it my way for.examination and perhaps a de lidding?

Edit. Was looking at lids and cpus this morning. I have 4200 and 6000 brisbanes... No solder. Id be curious why amd would solder a 3800 windsor at the such low tdp...

Tried popping it off last night, couldn't get the Razer under enough to get it to pop off. But didn't have the blade in a knife or anything, was just holding the blade with my fingers. I'll bring home a knife from work today, and give it a shot again, no need to slice up my fingers.

Not to get off topic, in any hurry, or that I'm not pre-occupied accomplishing little with router.

has anyone tried a decent singe stage phase change cooler, probably able to handle 125watt cpu, to somehow chill watercooling reservoir?

I'm toying with a similar idea. A peltier to cool the res, or a small loop cooled by the peltier then attached to my other loop to reduce temps to near ambient or so....

In theory, sounds good, but apparently rads do the opposite when you have peltiers in the loop :-/
^^^^^:rofl:^^^^^^^

That smoke you see is from Silver's Water Bong :thup: He said he was going to put some dye in it to see how far the smoke went:chair:
Oooooh yeah!! UV blue dye with a UV bulb in the room :thup:

- - - Updated - - -

Ooh yeah just remembers, I have a question to the all knowledgeable AMD guys here,

Are FX 4xxx and FX 6xxx actually FX 8xxx chips with defective cores disabled?
If so, I have something I'd like to try sometime.

so apparently i got a little bit too aggressive with the razer blade today... got the ihs of the 3700+ off, but i think i took a part of the chip off with it... weird thing is that i dont see any little pieces of the bit that looks destroyed..
IMG_20150708_172528.jpg

hows this idea?

bucket of ice, no radiator or temp bypass radiator.
add 2nd cpu water block mounted to the phase change, not connected to the cpu.
use it as a chiller for the water leaving the actual cpu water block.
remove some heat before it enters the ice bucket/reservoir.

??????

I have the koolance 380 cpu block setting here.
something to keep in mind, of course I still would like those valves/manifolds.

I think I been through many many Linux distros as router setup, decompression scripts and usb boot config scripts.
not to my liking as of yet.
4 port Ethernet I finally get tracking showing up in the system 6 days later.
possibly by Saturday.
some of these Linux distros require dual Ethernet NIC's.
I only have a single Ethernet NIC as of now.

so apparently i got a little bit too aggressive with the razer blade today... got the ihs of the 3700+ off, but i think i took a part of the chip off with it... weird thing is that i dont see any little pieces of the bit that looks destroyed..
View attachment 166170

:(

It might actually still run.
I saw someone write about that before and his chip still worked, and was able to run 5GHz, but at some weird voltage...

@eagle

I think that would work yes, but I know most will say mount phase change to the CPU block itself.

@blay
Reason I'm asking is this:
If the FX 6xxx and FX 4xxx are really just FX 8xxx then I would think there are newer "binned" FX 6xxx on the store shelves. The newer FX 8xxx are binned better, less Vcore needed for xOC, so perhaps the FX 6xxx on the shelves are the newer binned FX 8xxx chips??

Which means I can potentially replace this 1st gen leaky chip with a better lower leakage chip.

please read post#1

BUT ........ there is always a but.

The trend that has been seen with the newer low leakage chips has been more ...... I can get there with less volts but that is it. Even those wild kamikaze runs for benching RGone has talked about this are more of a thing of the past. They will run up fast with less volts but when they get there that is it regardless of volts.

@blay
If the FX 6xxx and FX 4xxx are really just FX 8xxx then I would think there are newer "binned" FX 6xxx on the store shelves. The newer FX 8xxx are binned better, less Vcore needed for xOC, so perhaps the FX 6xxx on the shelves are the newer binned FX 8xxx chips??

Which means I can potentially replace this 1st gen leaky chip with a better lower leakage chip.

Few things I can see as possibly flaws in that thinking.

AMD never sets out to manufacture anything but cream of the crop FX 8 core processors and uses laser to disable parts of FX processor that do not measure up at binning. Be it 2 or 3 or 4 cores, AMD disables as necessary to get the lesser working CPU.

AMD does not sell nearly as many 4 or 6 core cpus as it does FX 8 core processors. Not that I can see and certainly NOT as evidenced by traffic thru these AMD forum threads. Seldom see 4 and 6 core FX.

S_P you seem to want to overclock. So a nearly no leakage processor is n0t what you want to use unless you plan to LN2 it for testing any real speed. Already we have seen the latest batch with little Leakage FX 8 core just do not seem to be able to do the benchmarking at +5.2GHz that the semi-leakers can do on good water cooling.

IF and that is my big IF, you wanted to still go 6 core for lesser money it would be a 6350. I have seen plenty of them from release of 6350 that would GO.

IF it is just money, I would try an FX-8300 or FX-8310 as some of them have had good prices and get into the 4.8GHz range.

RGone...skisterzzzzzzzzzzzzz

yea, the newer fx chips hit a hard wall.
on the other side of the coin they seem to handle higher memory clocks.

:(

It might actually still run.
I saw someone write about that before and his chip still worked, and was able to run 5GHz, but at some weird voltage...

@eagle

I think that would work yes, but I know most will say mount phase change to the CPU block itself.

@blay

oh, i'll still try it. just a shame i got a little too aggressive and broke the thing, hah

Back