• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Putzen Round

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've had nothing but good experiences with G. Skill support, though, I think I'll cry if I ever kill my good sticks like the 2133 CL 7 Psc Sticks. I doubt highly I'd get the same in return!

I actually just picked up a set of older Tridents with Elpida BBSE Ic's in them, fingers crossed they like some lovin!

Numbers 5-8 in the serial. 141715001170202

Unfortunately that how it normally goes unless you can look at a set before buying.
If ordering from an online vendor, it's luck of the draw as to what you get but normally if a given set has a particular IC in it while others are buying it at the time you should get the same IC's when you buy a set like that.
However know the maker can change IC's at any time during a production run with a given model of sticks so nothing is guaranteed.

Ok, I was just making sure I wasn't loosing it not able to find these magic numbers while surfing online retailers, lol. Luck of the draw seems to be the flavor of the week right? :-/

pretty much unless you are buying used and can see a good pick with the tag and serial ..... no such luck with new stuff.

So one would be hoping for an early run of Samsung memory, makes sense, heard/read pretty much nothing but good stuff about Samsung chips, not so good with salsa though. Playing with the buttons will have to wait :cry: that damned 4 letter word your not supposed to use in polite society is callin' me, WORK :eek: yes I said it, shame on me. Maybe now my system can fold for a few weeks without me messing with it much (crosses fingers it stays running while I'm gone and doesn't take up swimming).

I've had nothing but good experiences with G. Skill support, though, I think I'll cry if I ever kill my good sticks like the 2133 CL 7 Psc Sticks. I doubt highly I'd get the same in return!

I actually just picked up a set of older Tridents with Elpida BBSE Ic's in them, fingers crossed they like some lovin!

^^ I wish I could find the messages that was sent back and forth^^
To make this a short story, I water cool my ram. In my quest for more speed in memory : I fried 4 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 over clocking them to DDR3 217x and 2 x 4 GB G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 1866 over clocking them to DDR3 239x. I talked to Corsair's and G.Skill's tech support, at the end of my talk with Corsair it got very interesting :shock:

Edit: I found my talk with Corsair :thup: Unfortunately Corsair has now lost my business :facepalm: This is straight from Corsair Tech Support :

Q)Created By: Phillip Cummins (6/15/2015 1:47 PM)
Is this the reason that G.Skill is suppose to have the world fastest DDR3 memory???
Straight from Corsair, you do not wish your DDR3 2600 or 2800 kit's overclocked to 3000+ or cover said memory under warranty if so done???

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading This

A) am not sure about any other brand's overclocking records with LN2, unfortunately.

Warranty does not cover experimentation, sorry.

My Talk With G.Skill was very nice and their tech support was great. I will be buying G.Skill more often now :thup: This is straight from G.Skill Tech Support :

Q)Dear G.Skill Tech,

The JEDEC DDR3 DRAM Standards.

Part of the DDR3 DRAM requirements states: That all DDR3 DRAM must be able to take 1.9750v without permanent damage. I'm a budding Overclocker (have not reached the elite group @ Overclockers.com Benching Team) that still uses water cooling. I had your Ripjaws X DDR3 1866 16GB (4GB modules) water cooled to DDR3 2400 @ 10-12-12-27 with 1.7v. Two (2) of the modules are now dead, will not let computer boot.

Yes, I know you produce higher speed = better memory BUT not if they die while OCing($$$).

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading This

A)Hi Phillip,

JEDEC does not state 1.975V, but either way as long as the RAM is not physically damaged, we will be glad to replace it.

My sticks came in and these are also 1500's, clocked right up to 1866 with CL9 11-11-31 settings @ 1.60v's with my SB chip. Obviously not pushing them ATM but will see what they are capable of later.
These seem to be good sticks and may get another set or two soon.

1500 and 2500 can be the same. I heard that 1xxx or 2xxx supposed to mean it's single/dual rank but in real I found out they're mixed.
Older Samsung based TridentX were all HCH9, HCK0 or HYK0. New are almost only higher density HCH9.
- HYK0 were almost only in TridentX 2400 9-11-11, 2600 10-12-12 and 2666 10-12-12. All of them were dual rank/double sided and this is what's best for benching. You can recognize them easily as all were also with SPD 1600 11-11-11. Can be found also in best RipjawsZ series like 2400 CL9.
- HCH9 were in all other TridentX and most other G.Skills. Most popular in TridentX 1600 C7, 1866 C8, 2133 C9 and 2400 C10. These were and still are single or double sided and all kits are mixed so you never know what you get. However most new kits are 4GB module = single side , 8GB = double side.
- HCK0 were in some series like RipjawsX and RipjawsZ. In general are overclocking worse but I had pretty good RipjawsZ kit which could make 2600-2800 10-12-12 depends from voltage.

Most new TridentX are on new batches of Samsung HCH9 and are not overclocking past ~2500 but on many of them you still can make something like 2133 8-10-10 or 2400 9-11-11/10-11-11 ~1.65V.

Regarding that broken RAM.
JEDEC specs = 1.975V for short period of time like voltage spikes but not for long time usage. That means memory should survive if board is not delivering fully stable voltage but no one will guarantee it will work for long hours at this voltage.
If memory died at 1.7V then it had some issues at the beginning or you made something wrong while benching. 1.7V is barely above standard voltage for these modules.
I was benching my DDR3 up to 2.2V on air and none of them had problems later. As I remember I made 1 or 2 RMA for memory in past 4-5 years. My thread with memory tests is not including all DDR3 I had a chance to test. There were many more that I owned or I could test at work.

About that best memory for overclocking. Memory manufacturers are only building modules from existing memory chips. Usually most good brands are using high quality PCB so there are no special differences in that matter. Also you can see that one brand is never on the top of the OC records unless that brand is pushing for these records like G.Skill has their own dedicated overclockers and work with some people to make these records. The same you could see that when X99 was released we saw that ASUS had 100% world records ... later when they were not pushing anymore then Gigabyte came with similar OC series and couple of sponsored overclockers made records for them ... clear marketing, nothing else. Constantly we can see the same fully sponsored people making records for the same brands.

So why G.Skill has best OC memory ? Because they care to work with overclockers and they are sponsoring some of them. Corsair is too greedy. They don't even want to send review samples for most websites and most overclockers won't buy their highly overpriced memory even though high series are great. Simply compare highest G.Skill series and Corsair and there is sometimes up to 50% difference in price.
Other brands are like:
ADATA - when they gave couple of ES kits then they had WR ... for 2 weeks as G.Skill was pushing harder at some of the OC events.
Team Group - when they tested couple of Samsung ES kits in their mysterious lab then they made WR in couple of tests.
Crucial/Micron is not playing in WR but Microns were not the best for high OC. Still have great results at lower clocks.
Geil - they are weird. They are not working with overclockers or websites with hardware reviews. I had one of the best memory clock results on air on some Geil kits.
Mushkin - is not working with anyone, their support is not even answering for all mails, their DDR3 kits were really average for OC while their DDR4 are not popular for some reason but specs look good
Kingston - they work more with gaming community making events etc. Still their memory is for mass sales what explains domination on RAM market with ~60% shares in total sales. They had couple of WR while OC events and many good results were made by regular overclockers, not fully sponsored.

Now I wonder if anyone will actually read this long post.

Last edited:
The ones I ordered are rated as PC3-12800 CL8-8-8-24 @ 1.60 v's. The numbers are indeed showing these to be a set of 1500's, for reference the exact model shown on the package and sticks themselves is F3-12800CL8D-4GBTD.

These are from older series as I see. For some older platforms probably better for OC.
I really liked double sided 2x4GB Crucial Elite 8-8-8 on AMD and Intel SB. I think they're single sided now as Micron switched to higher density chips. Anyway my kits could make 1866-2000 7-7-7 at ~1.7V but couldn't pass 2133 at all. These new 2x8GB Crucial kits are not working good on AMD or maybe I had no luck and I couldn't pass 1866 even though the same kits could run at 2200 on Intel.

Woomack, you are full of useful info! Going to have to read it a couple times to have a hope of comprehending it!

Now I wonder if anyone will actually read this long post.

I tried but it left me :confused: so like dyckah I will have to read it again and again. It all makes sense, thought about the marketing parts at least, I got swept up with the name and sales pitch (maybe the price) of this vengeance ram not realizing it wasn't near the quality it could/should be for that price point. Makes sense why G.Skill is favored by the OC'ers with all the support and work they put into their products.

People have been doing these for years. Finally decided to quite my high speed loud yate loons when not benching on them. Major difference.

20150711_120910.jpg

I'm pretty well sure shipping companies realize rare northern maine tourist season.
lol....

amazon wtv... seller network card. $3 shipping.
tracking # shows up july 2nd.
still today only shows left origin in florida 2 days ago.

- - - Updated - - -

I hear wild fires in saskatewan?
id say "pardon my French", I do doubt French over that way.
lol..

If I am not mistaken the 4 pin molex connector ...... Yellow is +12 v the two middle black are grounds and the red is +5v so to reduce your fan sped you can wire the red and black ground giving you +5v. I am not sure how it will give you 7v but by running your ground over to the +5v (red wire spot) the end result is 7v.

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/137

@ Woomack
You must have read my post about Corsair and G.Skill :thup: I killed my Corsair DDR3 1600 sticks and I talked to there tech support, to see how they supported the OC crowd. Corsair said their warranty was voided if you exceeded the memory's rated freq or increase the voltage above rated on memory stick:(

Back