• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just upgraded my Core 2 6420 to Quad Q8400...a few questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chum

My old E6420 2.13G was pretty good for OC 3.0G for 2 years stable. I have heard the Quads do not do as well...opinions? (The Quad was a "gift", so I just HAD to put it in!)
Should I let the new CPU settle a while before tampering with FSB?

RealTemp reads 29, 29, 34, 34...are these good idle temps for this cpu?

isn't the Q8400 the same as Q6600 but with slightly higher fsb? if so then it should oc pretty good
temps seem ok to me, my Q6600 does that too, 2 core are hotter than the other 2 cores,i think it should overclock pretty good, my Q6600 is a beast in overclocking! i can get way more higher than 3.44 with a proper board and cooler and i bet yours can too!

no need to burn in before OCing but I never seen anyone puch high FSB on that chipset... usually it was the P45 and X58's that oc'd real good with those low multi chips... and other than that you will need ram that is stable up to around 1066 to do more than 450x8.

no need to burn in before OCing but I never seen anyone puch high FSB on that chipset... usually it was the P45 and X58's that oc'd real good with those low multi chips... and other than that you will need ram that is stable up to around 1066 to do more than 450x8.

Thanks for answering "burn in" question!!!

I know the chipset is limited...but I am not looking for that high an OC either, maybe 3.0 or 3.2 max

Guess I cant do even 3 gig...something keeps changing it back! Suspect it is memory...the F14 BIOS will not let me reduce the memory frequency (only increase it!) Need a GURUs help on this...

When I set FSB to 375 memory frequency still shows 800...but shouldn't it show 400 since it is Dual channel...maybe I do not know enough about this to even atempt!:bang head

Guess I cant do even 3 gig...something keeps changing it back! Suspect it is memory...the F14 BIOS will not let me reduce the memory frequency (only increase it!) Need a GURUs help on this...

When I set FSB to 375 memory frequency still shows 800...but shouldn't it show 400 since it is Dual channel...maybe I do not know enough about this to even atempt!:bang head

OK...I am a dummy...I WAS able to change memory frequency and achieved 3 gig...I will test at this for a while before atempting more.
I know this is "mild" to some "die hard" overclockers...BUT I will be happy with CPU upgrade to Quad Core even if I cannot get higher!;)

try lower multiplier and higher fsb, i couldn't get mine to 3.44 with 9x multiplier but worked with 8x

Back