• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K7D Master and Heatsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey guys...this is my first post here (I've been reading quite a lot though). Has anyone tried the swiftech MCX462-V? It appears to have the same footprint as the MCX462+ (3"x3"). And thanks cmcquistion for your sticky on building a cheap duelie.

Malvasius said:
Hey guys...this is my first post here (I've been reading quite a lot though). Has anyone tried the swiftech MCX462-V? It appears to have the same footprint as the MCX462+ (3"x3"). And thanks cmcquistion for your sticky on building a cheap duelie.

You're welcome.

I haven't heard of anyone, here, using those heatsinks. I think they may be too large. Hopefully, someone will pipe in with personal experience.

By the way...

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Malvasius said:
Has anyone tried the swiftech MCX462-V? It appears to have the same footprint as the MCX462+ (3"x3").

I'm fairly confident that the "-V" will not fit cause although it has the same footprint as the "+", the top is "spread out" and the heatsink on the other cpu will make contact cause the "+" models are right next to eachother.

I think the SP97 will fit. I'm guessing it sits the same way as the 800U and the main clearance probs was with the capacitors and the base, not the fins. If you look at my pic, you'll see that the "pipes" shouldn't be an issue either.

wow that was a nice hack there, and thanks for the list, still havnt gotten better cooling than the stock ones,

Anyone ever get a pair of Akasa AK824CUs to fit?
I'm planning on running dual MP-modded XP2400s with 3 80mm intake on front and 2x80mm (above ATX I/O panel) + 1x 92mm (above PSU) and was wondering what sort of temps I could expect.
Won't be overclocking this box (much ;)), stability is a bit too important and will be adding 4x 160Gig 7200rpm SATA drives in 4 months time (RAID5 array) in with the 7200rpm WD ATA100.
The gfx card will be a Radeon 7550 (just need dual displays, nothing fancy) so cooling that won't be an issue.
Case will be a Chieftec Matrix full tower.

nodark said:
92mmfans.jpg

Your kung-fu is strong, indeed.

Also, are ALX-800's the same size as SLK-800s? If so, it looks like I'm going to be going the same mod as you.

Last edited:
Just to bump Syxpak's question about the Akasa AK824CUs fitting.

Also what about the Zalman 7000 & SLK900A (is it a size issue with the slk900u or is it the mounting??)

when installing the SKL-800U's (or any of the other Thermalrights) do you folks use the white pads that come with the Thermalright?

I installed mine without them and I am now worried that I might crack a core without them. Should I re-install with the white pads?

I use the white pads. I place them on the underside of the heatsink, in the corners. You will see some small indentions in the corners. That is where you want to place the little white pads.

Do you have to use them? No, but it can keep you from cracking a core, by rocking the heatsink.

Will not fit:

Thermaltake Volcano 11+

I just put two of these on a master, and they fit.
The fans are touching eachother, but if you put the coolers as far from eachother as you can when you place them, it works.

BUT: Both these and the Silent Boost (11+'s are the worst) are a pain to place. I don't understand why they don't place the "screwdriver holder" thing on both sides, because pressing it down with you finger when you can't tilt the HSF is painfull to your pinky.

Fitting SLK800U problems

Hey there,

I just bought two Thermalright SLK800U's but cant fit them on the MSI K7d. I know i have to lose a corner off a corner of one heatsink fins but its the base fitting around the capacitors that I'm having trouble with. The holes with the heatsink and mb just don't line up. Any suggestions? Filing off a corner of the mount? Repositioning the capacitors? Any help would be appreciated.

Jase.

fatkat,

I would not mess with the caps - simply cut away at the aluminum base until they fit. Also, once the bases fit, you will likely have to trim some of the fins on one (or both) of the heatsinks for them to "co-exist". That is exactly what I did - look at my sig for the components I am using :)

Okey dokey I'll have a go at filing down the base mount till it fits. Has anyone tried SLK800u's with 80mm fans? I got a couple lying around but don't think they will fit from initial inspection. Guess I'll have to get some 90mm ones

Back