• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keep water cooling setup or go air?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gottcha

what i currently have http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2009/04/30/swiftech-h2o-apex-ultima/5

My proposed build

Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150

ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9

EVGA 03G-P4-3783-KR GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Dual w/ EVGA ACX Cooler

WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive

Seasonic SS-660XP2 ATX 12V/EPS 12V, 660W, 80 PLUS PLATINUM Full Modular certified Active PFC Power

Should i keep the water cooling setup or more to air?

Indeed.
I'm air on everything but can see no reason not to use it. It's a good basic H2O system that can be expanded as needed.

I wasn't sure if my current set up was good enough for the 4770k. I have been out of the loop for about 5 years.

I wasn't sure if my current set up was good enough for the 4770k. I have been out of the loop for about 5 years.
All depends on the chip you get and the performance you want. The Haswells are all over the place when it comes to heat and overclocking. I personally have a 4770k that is a hot one, I can only do 4.3 for an everyday overclock because of the heat mine generates. That is running a full custom loop with a 360 rad cooling the cpu only. I know another user on this forum that can run 4.4 on an AIO Thermaltake 2.0 unit and his runs almost 15c cooler at 4.4 using more voltage then mine does at 4.4. Silicon lottery!

What you have is as good or better than stock NH-D14.

Mandrake, have you thought about delidding? See,s 4770 heat problems are more the chip to IHS heat transfer than hotter chips.

I'll second that thought. My 4770K has to have a vcore of 1.45 in order to be stable at 4.5GHz. I am going to get another chip here soon. I had to de-lid my chip in order to keep it cool at these voltages. I have another 3770 with a locked multiplier that I was able to get to run at 4.1GHz. It is on a Water 3.0 AIO and it runs 20°C cooler than the 4770K which is on a Custom loop.

ok so I'll keep the water cooling loop. Has anything amazing came out since the GTZ block?

ok so I'll keep the water cooling loop. Has anything amazing came out since the GTZ block?
There are better blocks out now but I don't think it's going to make an enormous difference. Maybe you'll see 1-3 c difference from block to block.

There are better blocks out now but I don't think it's going to make an enormous difference. Maybe you'll see 1-3 c difference from block to block.

Thanks I dont thing 1-3c is worth the cost of upgrading. I built a stock computer for my dad with the 4770 and it was insanely fast.... It the reason i'm upgrading:drool:

Back