• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keyboards, for gaming, mechanical?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My current keyboard has what logitech call Perfect-Stroke, looks to me like scissor, same as laptops use.

I like the feel, the flatness does mean i often hit 2 or more keys are once.

My work keyboard is membrane, cheap Ligtech MK260, which is fine for typing, but if i was gaming, i wouldnt like it, too hard to press.

To make it an easy sum up, when you press down on browns, that "bump" simply lets you know when the key is "registered". Such as if you open up Notepad and you slowly press the A key, once you feel the "bump", you should see "a" written in notepad. Whereas with Reds, you need to "feel" the actuation point/point where the key registers.

Having used reds for quite some time, it's almost second nature that I know where the key registers and how far I need to press down on them. The Reds also register at give or take about half a key press in actuation force vs other switches.

Last edited:
Actually sobe, I believe all of the mechanicals actuate at about a half key press. The browns actuate at the bump as to blues at the click, before bottoming-out.

Just realized how I phrased that, lol. Horrible on my part, edit xD

Good catch.

Here's how the brown functions and a force/actuation graph.

Brown.gif

image.php

I have looked those gifs over many times now, also videos and so on. Brown maybe right, i dont know.

I see my local store has the G710+, but at a heavy price compared to online, so i dont think i would even buy it with the intent to return it.

I have looked those gifs over many times now, also videos and so on. Brown maybe right, i dont know.

I see my local store has the G710+, but at a heavy price compared to online, so i dont think i would even buy it with the intent to return it.

You could ask if they'll let you try it though :shrug:

Just keep in mind that the G710+ has O-rings under the keys so they have a soft stop at the bottom which reduces noise.

My opinion is to order the cherry switch sampler... At least it will give you some idea in person of each individual switch.

My opinion is to order the cherry switch sampler... At least it will give you some idea in person of each individual switch.

I think he mentioned he can't get it in Denmark.

Oh well damn, I missed that.

Well, I think he still needs to find a switch type he prefers, because the Corsair board with RGB housed Cherry switches, will come in Red, Blue, and Brown. Having an idea of what he wants ahead of time will help him later on.

Only thing I can say is see if that shop will let you check out that Logitech which has MX Browns, at least then you can get a baseline. The Reds would be very similar, but without that "bump" you will feel. I suppose that's going to be your best way to get a feel.

Just trying to figure out why a keyboard with regular cheapy membrane switches costs the price of even a cheap brand of mechanicals... Perhaps due to it's "split" you pay for?

Back