• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KG7 old campaigners, help please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoadWarrior

Hi guys,

The KG7 is a bit oldskool now I know, but I want to wring the max out of the poor sucker. Back in the day, there was a lot of activity around this board, and some people were getting 175fsb out of it. Now the problem is, that the forums where the hardcore KG7 freaks posted all thier info have either lost it, or the forum has gone down for good, or other strange happenings have conspired to lose the info, such as account deletion etc.

Anyhoo, got the basic FAQ bookmarked (Pauls KG7 FAQ now at sudhian) but can't find any of the more involved guides on setting the RAM timings, voltmodding etc etc.

I think there are some issues with this board and newer RAM, any info on that would be great too. Got a module in it now that's known to do 220+ but it doesn't seem to work well in this :(

Thanks in advance for any linkage or tips, if you happen to have any old guides or posts saved that would be great too. Oh, if you can pull up any old bookmarks that are direct links to articles now expired, even those might be useful since archive.org might be able to make something out of them.

Road Warrior

w0000r!!!111

After much more digging with google, I discovered OPPAINTER and DDTUNG's BIOS optimisations for the KG7 had been preserved on amdmb forums....
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=58982&highlight=KG7

And holeeeee crap do they rock to the most rocky. :D

I was having stability issues on CAS 2.5 on NORMAL timings above 150fsb, and with the aid of these BIOS tweaks I got it up to 162Mhz on CAS 2 Not quite sure what is holding me back right now, could be my ti4200 doesn't like the AGP bus running that fast (on 1/4 divider, it's all she's got) because it seems stable at 175 in windows, but crashes out of 3DMark 2k1.

Anyway, at these timings at 162FSB, in Sandra 2005, it beats the standard memory score for NF2 running PC3200 at cas 2.5 and is a hair behind the NF2 cas 2 score!! This from a first gen DDR chipset vs 3 or 4th gen! I am totally amazed, I've got a KT333 board that I thought I had tweaked to the max, and never saw numbers like it :D

It's funny though, 162 seems to be a sweet spot, USB stopped working at 151 until 161, but works again now at 162, odd because all the diags tell me it's locked at 48Mhz and not dependant on FSB clock. Maybe it just kicked in an extra wait state or something.

Got a Duron 1600 in this rig at the moment. I'm getting ticked at the 3DM 2k1 ORB though because it's listing bartons and A64s in the durons. Hard to sort out the genuine durons for comparison. Also has separate section for 4800, but they keep showing up in the 4200 listings, as do some 4400 and 4600s. Anyhoo, got into the region where the scores around me are lower end bartons on nf2 boards :D

I'm having more fun with this rig than any I spent real money on, it's built from the cheapest stuff. I got the board for $10 new from a fair where the company was clearing out old stock, now I see what it can do, I wish I had bought 3 or 4. The duron was the cheapest new CPU to put in it, I grabbed a cheap stick of RAM, the case and PSU was $12 at the same fair...

I think it's about maxed in the current configuration though. The PSU might be the culprit, 5v line drops like a stone if I try to take the CPU over 2150 and she bombs. I've got another PSU on hand and I'll be putting that one in to try, she's not got a lot left, but doing 175fsb and 2275 on the CPU would be nice, might equal that Sandra nf2 score then! :D I might think about doing a vmem and vcore mod on the ti4200 too, she's topping at 315/605 though again, that could be PSU issues. Anyhoo, I think I've been doing good so far for a 350W that came with a case for $12...

So if anyone wants some cheap clean fun, pick up a tbred core cpu, a KG7 and a stick of cheap 2700 or 3200 and let 'er rip :D

Road Warrior

Back