• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

King Of Coolers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Killer Chef

Ok
I'm looking at getting an Athlon 1800+, what would be the absolute, unchallenged, king of HSF's to get for it.
Basically, what would you put on it?

P.S. It won't be overclocked:(

Well, water is the emporer when it comes to cooling. You can set up a water system for around $150(I think... rough estimate). Or you can use air and get the Swiftech MCX462 w/ the Delta 80 CFM fan will keep it pretty cool. It's only around $60.

If your not overclocking, you probably don't want to spend that much money on cooling... Plus that Delta sounds like a jet engine. For a non-overclocked XP, you could easilly keep it stabilly cool with a GlobalWin WBK68. It is available here for only $16.

BTW, for future reference, there are two other threads on the first page of the cooling section that talk about this;)

wak-38 on a 1800+?
LOL that sink is all alum, if im not mistaken.. i have it sitting on my desk with a 60/38mm delta.
id get at least a sk-6 or a alpha, those are pretty cheap.

you dont need a 60-70dollar hsf if you not gonna oc..

yep the swifty is the best but the Alpha Pal and the Thermalright AX-7 cost less and are almost as good...

Darrenct:
come to thinking about it, im gonna have to RMA my waterblock (yes its bad :p) and i only have a WAK-38 with a delta, have u tryed useing one on an XP cpu be4 or know anyone that has?
i may have to use it for a week or so till i fix up my water cooling. i have ac3, so i hope thats enough to get good enough temps to run stock for a week or so.

If sound level and price are no issue, than the MC-462a or MCX-462a will serve you well. As cool as the Athlon XPs run, especially when not overclocked, you can get by with a less expensive and quieter HSF like the Glaciator 1 or 2. They are built well.

Hoot

For a Non overclockerd CPU as far as MONEY vs NOISE vs PERFORMANCE id have to get one of these 2

1. Millenium Glaciator 2. - $35
2. Cooler Master HHC 001 Heatpipe. - $39

Hoot said:
If sound level and price are no issue, than the MC-462a or MCX-462a will serve you well. As cool as the Athlon XPs run, especially when not overclocked, you can get by with a less expensive and quieter HSF like the Glaciator 1 or 2. They are built well.

Hoot

i saw you replyed, but u missed my question bro :(
but hoping you get this, h00t u think my wak-38 could handle a 1900+ w/ ac3?
thanks

Dissolved said:
Darrenct:
come to thinking about it, im gonna have to RMA my waterblock (yes its bad :p) and i only have a WAK-38 with a delta, have u tryed useing one on an XP cpu be4 or know anyone that has?
i may have to use it for a week or so till i fix up my water cooling. i have ac3, so i hope thats enough to get good enough temps to run stock for a week or so.

I'm sure it will work, but you will have to run it at stock speed... Ouch!

Darrenct said:

I'm sure it will work, but you will have to run it at stock speed... Ouch!

wel i only oc when im running 3dmark :)
i play UT and CS and they arent too graphic, and i get about 60-75fsp in UT, and 80-100 in CS so having my cpu OC'd doesnt do anything more then heat up my res water :)
but ill test the wak-38 later on, and ill be sure to give my results hehe

I must admit, I am not familiar with the WAK-38. I have used an FOP-38, WBK-38, CAK-38, SAK-38 and CBK-38. If the WAK-38 is aluminum, that would disqualify it right there. All Aluminum HSFs just can't compete with copper for performance. Hybrids are another story. Some of the better designed hybrids do quite well against copper.

Hoot

Hoot said:
I must admit, I am not familiar with the WAK-38. I have used an FOP-38, WBK-38, CAK-38, SAK-38 and CBK-38. If the WAK-38 is aluminum, that would disqualify it right there. All Aluminum HSFs just can't compete with copper for performance. Hybrids are another story. Some of the better designed hybrids do quite well against copper.

Hoot

well the fop-38 is all alum i believe, thats what i first had with my 1.2ghz (my first real pc).
i had it on my gpu last month, if were talking about the same sink:

hmmm isn't bad to have such a huge and heavy HSF on a little video card like that?? .. anyways as for HSF for Xp1800+.. I would recommend the Alpha8045 w/80CFm fan... its performs only about 1/2 C to 1C higher than the King Swiftech.. but it cost a hell of alot less, and when ever you decided to O/C... you can go ahead and have fun and wouldn't have to worry about getting something new.

Arctic said:
hmmm isn't bad to have such a huge and heavy HSF on a little video card like that??

naw its all alum so its fairly light, that was just testing untill i could get a better u1 cooler, which i have on now :)

Back