• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KT7 Core Voltage Test Point

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
I have often wondered which was correct. My bios calling for 1.75 vcore or the reading I got using the Via HMS program that came with my KT7. This evening, while messing around with the cover off, I grabbed my trusty Fluke DMM and did some poking around with the unit running. Between the socket and the toroidal coils is a row of Radial mounted electrolytic capacitors. For whatever reason, Abit omitted one of them. Lo and behold the missing one is across the core voltage. I don't know whether to be pleased or not about this, but it is an excellent place to take an actual reading. So, here's what I found (finally).

Bios calling for 1.75V
HMS reporting 1.80V
Fluke says 1.784V

The tolerance on the Fluke dictates that it could be seeing anywhere from 1.78 to 1.79V. So, FWIW go with the reading you get from the onboard voltage sensors. Oh yes, the voltage did not change one bit between idle and Prime95 torture

A footnote. While I was at it, I went across those same two test points with my oscilloscope and there is about 44 milivolts of switching crud on the core voltage comprised of many different frequencies. 44mv is nothing to worry about though.

Hoot

Back