• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lan party pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rustylivz

I am building a lan party pc for my oldest son . i have an apevia shuttle with a system in it . my kid took it this past weekend to game and it fell on it's face , msi socket 775 mobo with q6600 and gts 8800 320 . 2 gigs ddr2 pny . so i pulled the mobo ram and gfx . want to get this . any input would be great . i have 4 gigs of ddr3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 4GB (2 x 2GB .
was thinking of jumping to 8 gigs ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113291

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131795

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131473

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148486

the 7850 paired with the q6600 would probably be just fine the fx 4300 wouldnt really be THAT much of and upgrade. the 8800 is probably the biggest holdback.

i mean i guess you could... if your gonna replace the q6600 id go more modern than nehalem . if you wanna save some bucks and get haswell or ivy or whatever in a while im sure it would be fine until then.

i mean i guess you could... if your gonna replace the q6600 id go more modern than nehalem . if you wanna save some bucks and get haswell or ivy or whatever in a while im sure it would be fine until then.

However i do see your point , a buck 60 for the 7850 would be a good decision

Last edited:
I could also go this route http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186206
I have an Amd 960t laying around also a 6790ati card . , being i just installed a Phenom II X4 980 - 3.7 GHz and SAPPHIRE Vapor-X- 7970 6GB 384-bit , Into my PC #1 .

Honestly i am fed up with pc Bull**** . i just spent 3 grand for 3 gfx cards . Now my kid wants a whole new i7 build . will what i intend to do be good enough for a while ? the nagging is nerve wrecking ugh...

Is the kid a good kid? He's emulating you. That's good, you're a great dad with $$.

Kids matter, I always passed my stuff to my son, then my wife (still married 29 years), son is on his own doing fine at 25.

Priorities? Nagging, is it really nagging?

well my cousins and i are still running 6950's / 6970's and we are still fine, both of them are running core 2 quads, one a q6600 and the other a q8300 neither overclocked. and they keep up just fine in games. only difference i was able to tell is in cod4 when trying to hold 1000fps to do the walking up walls glitch i was the only one who could hold it consistantly they could get 900+ though. that 8800gt used to be a great card. its not now not even remotely close. if you spent 3 grand in gpu's.... did he get one of those? and i7 for gaming is like buying a semi truck to go grocery shopping for a 3 person family. it works yea but no better than its i5 counterpart. he just wants to brag to his friends most likely, weve all been there.

well my cousins and i are still running 6950's / 6970's and we are still fine, both of them are running core 2 quads, one a q6600 and the other a q8300 neither overclocked. and they keep up just fine in games. only difference i was able to tell is in cod4 when trying to hold 1000fps to do the walking up walls glitch i was the only one who could hold it consistantly they could get 900+ though. that 8800gt used to be a great card. its not now not even remotely close. if you spent 3 grand in gpu's.... did he get one of those? and i7 for gaming is like buying a semi truck to go grocery shopping for a 3 person family. it works yea but no better than its i5 counterpart. he just wants to brag to his friends most likely, weve all been there.

The 3 grand for the gfx cards , all 3 cards went into my i7 build for tri way sli . but i am using 2 for sli the 3rd is physx

My son rebuilt the shuttle case with the 775 mobo and q6600 added the 6970ati card . and he is pleased with his final results . While my teenage boy games in our home he already uses my i7 setup . so he already braggs to his buddies .

Last edited:
so take the third gpu that is being wasted on phys-x and slap it in the shuttle pc, just make sure it has enough psu. the 690 can more than handle the phys-x on its own with maybe 2fps drop.

i mean i dont understand what you are trying to ask, but either go all out, or don't. if you don't want to you have my suggestions.

Last edited:
Getting perhaps a little personal, but how old is your son?

As far as the topic goes, I see no reason to go all out with a build for your son. You're the one making the money, upgrade your rig and give him your hand-me-downs. (Or better yet, make him work for them). :) What sorts of games is he trying to play, anyway? My i3 550 and 6870 can run most current games fine at low-medium settings, some even on high/ultra.

Getting perhaps a little personal, but how old is your son?

As far as the topic goes, I see no reason to go all out with a build for your son. You're the one making the money, upgrade your rig and give him your hand-me-downs. (Or better yet, make him work for them). :) What sorts of games is he trying to play, anyway? My i3 550 and 6870 can run most current games fine at low-medium settings, some even on high/ultra.

He is my middle son , age 15 . He did build his portable pc . with hand me downs . He is well behaved . honor roll student , does earn what he receives . Book worm / computer nerd:D

Back