• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping and AS2 - not good for me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BboySkid

Registered
i just lapped my HSF (volcano ii) and put some as2 on the die of my duron
thinking id get soem pretty good improvements from an unlapped HS with stock thermal pad

of course i know i didnt do a perfect lapping job and probably didnt apply the as2 Perfectly, but i think i did a good enough job that it would at least perform AS good as my unlapped heatsink

when lapped i used 180,220,320,600,1000,1500, and 2000 grit, it was pretty flat i thuoght
so i cleaned the thermal pad off the die of the cpu and put a small pellet of as2, and stuck the hs on and removed it to see if the contact was adequate, it looked ok so i booted up my machine and ran some 3dmark 2k to get the temps up

they were a tad higher than my unlapped

any explanation or suggestions on lapping techniques, i just used some glass to have a flat surface, i dont really know that much about lapping, didnt think it was complicated

thanks.

two possible problems here
1) you may have done too good of a lap job and basically made a indention in you HS which decrease the contact area (too much of a good thing can be bad). Mirror finish is not needed. I stopped at 1200.
2)did you clean the HS and chip with acetone then with alcohol? Just alcohol will not remove all traces of the previous stuff. AS had an article somewhere that compares mixing tape and zinc oxide, tape and AS, AS and zinc...all of them with poor results. Clean well. I had the same problem the first time... I got an increase in temp of 2 C....

1 GHz TB at 1.417 GHz, full load 43 C

You should be getting better results now then with the stock thermal pad. To apply the AS2 I cut a strip of plastic out of an old baseball card protector, made it the same width as the cpu. I put a little(very little) AS2 on the plastic and then make a swipe across the cpu to put on a paper thin coat. The idea of AS2 and a lapped HSF is to have a minimum of grease and a maximum of metal to metal contact.

Also check your clamp. I don't know about the Volcano but I have seen some clamps loose preasure after several installs .

They just had a article a couple of weeks ago and they found that by lapping to a 600 grit they had better performance then 1500 but there was a little room for debate about which grade was better but either way both work for most. there may be something else going on here thats not rite as those thermal pads are very bad at transfering heat just adding AS without lapping should have decreased temps by quite a bit. I hope your HSF is sitting perfectly flat on the proccesor you can also lapp the Die on the proccesor lightly too I lapped mine to 1500 die and HSF and ive seen a big decrease in temps. So first you may try to lapp down a little and second again make sure its seating properly

is there anyway to check if i have a good flat seating

if i put some as2 on my die, then put the clean heatsink on, and took it off would the grease residue ont eh heatsink give me an idea of how it is seated

BboySkid (May 29, 2001 10:47 p.m.):
is there anyway to check if i have a good flat seating

if i put some as2 on my die, then put the clean heatsink on, and took it off would the grease residue ont eh heatsink give me an idea of how it is seated

Put a razor blade on the bottom and see if you see light coming between the blade and the heatsink. If you see a lot of light then it's uneven.

Back