• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptops.com

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i few of my thoughts on the front page:
i think joe and ed matured past thier original intent of the site.
ed became somewhat senile depending on the day.altho i enjoyed his pesimistic cpu views and dont really ever remember him saying "DAMN i gotta have this" but his p2p rants drove me nutz and i refused to read them.

i also feel the laptop stuff is used as filler.
i see almost everyday forum members doing product reviews and how-to's here and why this isnt capitalized on is thier loss imo.
we arent writers nor claim to be.
i did a review for a site and was a pita doing the writing part altho i highley enjoyed getting the info.we wont hardley ever get insightfull oc member contributions if we need to test and write it too.
ill just post my info here and dant give a darn about grammer or punctuation.

i love any product review joe and ed do if and when they ever do.

one suggestion i would have which is a take on one mentioned by I.M.O.G. would be to mention hot news and tips in each field.whether from our forums or other sites.

i hate having to read that other sites front page to find the latest info.id rather do it here.

deathstar13 said:
one suggestion i would have which is a take on one mentioned by I.M.O.G. would be to mention hot news and tips in each field.whether from our forums or other sites.

i hate having to read that other sites front page to find the latest info.id rather do it here.
But that is the one thing that really separates OC.com from the rest (anand, hard (big time)) Oc.com isn't a news portal. Its almost never a regurgitation of news, or link to other stories. Its original works. I am happy to read or not read the rant of the day at OC.com then check out Hard to see if anything cool happened.

You are right on the filler bit. Its like an alien ripped out all the filling of the pie, left the crust (ranting and raving), and they scrambled to find something to fill the empty shell and grabbed the topic du jour, which was laptops and pumped the shell with laptop articles to fill it up. While the alien sits in space eating the cool watercooling reviews and whatnot.

Sure a tech that fixes laptops incite might be useful, but I want to buy the laptop that the techs dont need to see.

Sure a tech that fixes laptops incite might be useful, but I want to buy the laptop that the techs dont need to see.
thats a good point,things need to be focused more on what people who are ocers would be interested.

i dont actually mean re-hashing links like h does, i mean,say when a member posts tccc memory chips found on a $49 stick of ram somewhere.
i guess a HIGHLIGHTS OFTHE DAY FROM THE FORUMS.

also including sister forums like xs who have info slowly leaked here.
this is very important info and tips never seen on anyone front pages.

I have made this suggestion to the frontpage, and I am under the impression that it will not happen. I honestly do not know what the frontpage is doing lately, but I can only guess that they have no desire to have any healthy connection with the forums.

There is so much good information produced here, but they do not want to build off it or reference any of it.

Case in point: c627627 has been updating a webpage for as long as I remember, profiling CPU's, whats current and whats coming. He's done this as a tool to increase discussion here about what can be expected and what those expectations should be. This is GREAT STUFF. It has never made our own frontpage... However an article was posted on the inquirer based almost solely off of the information on his website.

http://www.c627627.com/

It is a shame that home grown products like this make another site look good, when it is OC.com which produced them.

Good luck making that change though... You'd have to get Ed and Joe's random number generator to select your email out of their inbox. And they have no communication through the forums, which this subforum would be perfect for... Having a million people email you is a PITA, and I get atleast 20 emails a day which I absolutely have to read so I can imagine what their inboxes are like, so I have no clue why they don't avert the messages to the forums instead. It would be such a better place to improve their information and build further upon it for the next article... I can't name the number of times I've picked things up here more than 24 hours before it made the frontpage.

Personally speaking I think it would be most interesting if we could have some guest writers from industry just voicing their thoughts on the industry section they are involved in.

People such as Nevin from Artic Silver, I bet he would have some interesting thoughts on the thermal issues that computing is going to face in the future along with ideas and tips on this subject..
Likewise Richard Stallman I expect would have some interesting opinions on software licences and DRM.

This is tricky, and I can see what you mean. I'd definitely like to see more of overclocking articles as well.

On the other hand, consider a few things:

1) Until just recently, the overclocking scene has been pretty slow. Intel had horrid Prescotts out, and many people were taking a wait and see approach while AMD's situation solidified and they perfected their chips.

2) There is increasing interest among the readership in mobile computing, especially as the prices are much cheaper than they used to be. This is a new area for overclockers, and just getting the things to run well at stock is the first step.

3) The glut in laptop articles is just a reflection of (1) and (2): since the overclocking scene was fairly slow and there was an increasing interest in laptops, it was only natural for there to be a glut of laptop articles.

In a way, it's hard to see too much overclocking on laptops. They're still expensive relative to desktops and more difficult to repair, and so it's riskier. They're not readily designed for it, and it's not as easy as tweaking a BIOS option. And finally, the purpose of a laptop is generally not the same as that of a desktop machine.

This reflects the overall trend we're starting to see: if you want to game, buy an xbox/PS2; if you want a killer photoshop/computational machine, get an overclocked desktop; if you want mobile computing or websurfing at the couch, get a laptop. Since laptops generally aren't used for killer/high speed applications there isn't much point in subjecting oneself to the increased risks of overclocking them even while they're already faster than is needed for their intended use. Heck, this is why underclocking is appropriate for laptops, and why things like SpeedStep have proven so useful.

On the laptop platform, clockspeed isn't king, but rather efficiency. That involves setting the clockspeed at a level that's appropriate for the task, rather than racing through everything. However, as you rightly pointed out, it also involves good software and BIOS settings tweaks, and we could definitely stand to see more of that.

It looks like my recent letter to Joe just got posted as a laptop review. While I'm happy to see it there, I really hadn't intended for that to happen (it was a letter; not a review), but I'll see if I can get some additional software/BIOS tweaks added as an addendum.

Just a few thoughts. -- Paul

One thing we may tend to forget is that the front page lives off of user writing. I think the $100 prize per month was a way to entice people to write. If I remember right, it didn't used to be there. One rarely ever sees articles on the main page any more because all of the action happens in the much faster paced forums. Most projects people do here pale in comparison to extreme modding or cooling other sites do. But the cooling or modding articles we post help represent how cooling has changed here over time. The H2O article database is a prime example. One can spend hours reading past projects not only to get ideas for their own systems but also to see what mistakes were made then and what can be learned from them. Ed and Joe can't make the front page live off of heatsinks (which new ones are rather rare these days, or ones worth reviewing), or H2O kits (of which there are a few now that Joe has missed, and has not reviewed for some reason), or Ed's rants.

I've got two articles in the development phase right now, just need to gather more data.

LOL! That wasn't supposed to be an article either! It was just a short message I shot of to Joe - much like Paul mentioned above. :rolleyes:

I've noticed a shift towards smaller computers in general, laptops being most notable. Nobody seems to want a massive full atx tower anymore, they want a mac mini.

Also, I think people are starting to realize that overclocking isn't helping all that much anymore. I mean, can you notice the difference between 3.0 and 3.3 ghz? 2.2 and 2.8? I certainly can't. My xp-m 2200+, 1.5 gigs ram, and 6600gt handle anything i throw at them. I can run doom3 with everything turned up to high and still get nice fps. Why would I want something faster, unless i'm building a folding farm or do intense autocad-type stuff?

If you can do nearly everything on a portable, lightweight, convieniently self-contained computer, why would you use a massive, immobile machine with some hardcore phase change system?

I don't care for the articles lately, but the shift makes sense. Still, I'd like to see more overclocking and cooling and even parts manufacturer info. Everyone loves parts, just about everyone loves cooling, and servers can really benefit from all three.

13 laptop articles between March 1st and April 24th, thats 55 days for the arithmetically challenged.

Thats, what, 1 laptop article every 4 days roughly?

10 of those were in April. One every 2.5 days.

Overclockers.com?

9mmCensor said:
XP is great. But I dont think its suited for a sub 500Mhz CPU with 128MBs of RAM. 98SE would be great for that, or evene Windows 2KPro.

my toshiba 4005cds pos (on it now) is a p2 233MHz with 160MB of pc66, and it runs XP pro like a dream. you just need to know how to tweak it for a slow pc.
however, as soon as I have the time, it will be running gentoo ;) or maybe knoppix... whichever I decide on at the time.

-Mitch

Last edited:
I don't even read the laptop articles anymore. I can remember the good ol'days when we would get several articles most of which concerned overclocking in some way. Now we usually only get one and lately those have been about laptops. ARRG!

David said:
13 laptop articles between March 1st and April 24th, thats 55 days for the arithmetically challenged.

Thats, what, 1 laptop article every 4 days roughly?

10 of those were in April. One every 2.5 days.

Overclockers.com?

I agree, and the heatsink articles are a wasted day too...

Would like more articles on 64bit computing, 64bit overclocking, or anything to do with dual cores

I think I'm the odd man out, here. I have recently started playing with lappies, and enjoy working on them. Maybe, it is that I won't touch anything but the IBM T20/22 lappies.

They have proven real easy to work on, and they all share the same case and mobo, so a T20 can be a T22, with a few basic additions.

I haven't read ALL of the lappy stories, but I've looked at most of them, and I do appreciate them.

Just so you know who to blame, Brian, MrB, started the whole thing, with his post about restoring and modding his old Dell (?) (I think it was a Dell.)

Maybe I should do a tear-down article about a T series, and get you all mad. Or, the multi-headed LEGO case story, I've been threatening to do for years.

steve

I don't overclock because it seems useless. Why risk any potential damages(as well as voiding the warranty) just for a slight increase? You could probably get the same speed increase by spending $30 more on a processor. Considering I've seen people spend $100 in cooling fans just since it was overclocked.

Back