• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LCD Monitor as TV?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ErikD

I am already using a HTPC hooked up to my (oldish) 20" flat screen (tube) TV. I was looking at flat panels the other week, and anything decent is way expensive. Then I look at the pretty highly regarded Dell widescreen computer monitors which I can get for under $500.

Is there any reason why I couldn't or shouldn't use one of these in place of a standard TV for my HTPC?

Secondly, would you replace a Sony Trintron 20" with a Dell widescreen flat monitor as your TV/DVD/HTPC setup?

Thanks for any input.

if you get a HDTV by any chance for HTPC use.. make SURE it accepts 1080P ... my mitsubichi 62inch "1080p" tv only accepts up to 1080i... and then it gets upconverted to 1080p but i cannot run 1080P off my HTPC to the tv which ****es me off cus i get some crazy flickering when looking at text... but videos and whatnot are produced flawlessly.

and you could just get a LCD for use as a tv... you obviously have a tuner in ur comp so its good.

and you can go ahead and replace ur sony 20inch crt.. and give me the crt! :-D

i use a 22" widescreen lcd pc monitor for my htpc main screen.

i used to for movies and stuff have a projector sitting next to it which id run HDTV and dvds through, and the second screen u could chat with mates on irc cause both screens dont need to display the same thing

but since the projector carked it, the 22" lcd is all i have, it does HDTV and dvds very well, mines a proview 22" widescreen lcd, 5ms, never had any issues with it.

so yes lcd monitorsa are fine, but the biggest lcd is 30" where as you can get much bigger sized tvs.

so depends where your putting this thing.

Phrenetical said:
i use a 22" widescreen lcd pc monitor for my htpc main screen.

i used to for movies and stuff have a projector sitting next to it which id run HDTV and dvds through, and the second screen u could chat with mates on irc cause both screens dont need to display the same thing

but since the projector carked it, the 22" lcd is all i have, it does HDTV and dvds very well, mines a proview 22" widescreen lcd, 5ms, never had any issues with it.

so yes lcd monitorsa are fine, but the biggest lcd is 30" where as you can get much bigger sized tvs.

so depends where your putting this thing.

yes but the resolution of a 30inch lcd is huge in compairson even to a 1080P tv...

Back