• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LED Rant

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomdean

LED's everywhere.

I have a metal case to avoid RFI. LED's inside the case are wased $ and energy.

LEDs on fans! LEDs on memory. LEDS on everything.

I can understand lots of LEDs and a clear case if one can not do wnything interesting with a computer and just needs a llight show.

Since I do not want light polution and want to keep things cool, I am having a hard time finding parts.

I feel better.

There's tons of parts that don't have LEDs and many that do can be turned off. None of the parts in my system have any lights on when it runs.

Not for nuthin but, LED's don't use crap for electricity and don't get warm. Your rant is misdirected.
Rant should be "I don't like lights inside my case".

Yeah... totally get you dont like the LED craze that's been going on for the last few generations. You're not alone!

As was said earlier, there's plenty of parts without, and plenty that do where you can simply turn them off. Power isn't much of an issue either considering how little they actually use...but every Watt counts I guess. It may save you a couple W overall...Heat was never a consideration from these. :thup:

Last edited:
You don't need to worry about RFI either. All of the other components are going to be putting out much more noise than a handful of LEDs.

This made me laugh out loud... Thanks

I never understood the whole RGB thing myself... I have my own self build and there is leds on my MB and ram but tower is underneath and I never see them, couldn't care less about pretty lights...i concentrate on the performance and gaming more...

This has cheered me up! LIGHTS EVERYWHERE [emoji23]

I agree with the OP.

Removed heat sink on all video cards just to unplug the LED.
De-canned my Soundblaster cards and unsoldered the LED's.
Disassembled my 5.25" to 3.5 inch hot-swap bays and removed the resistor to the power LED (while leaving the activity LED still functional).
Disable every LED in BIOS at first opportunity.

LED's have certainly wasted a TON of energy from me just having to disable them.

Thankfully most if not all of the led's can be shutoff these days (either by software or hardware switches).
Everything in mine can be shut off anyway, most the parts are software controlled via icue (fans, rgb strips, mouse, kb, headset, aio), mb shuts off all leds after post (except for ethernet, hdd activity and power led can just be unplugged via your header), the psu has hardware rgb switch to control/shut off rgb, the monitor power led is controlled via built in osd and can be shut off.

Maybe 10 years ago when everything had static red led's that you couldnt shut off to make sure people knew they were for gamers, but thankfully we live in different times now.

Last edited:
Back