• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LGA 775 vs. Nehalem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spyguy

I have thought this over many times lately, but still can't decide. Should I wait for Nehalem to build my new computer or not? I keep thinking that if I stay with LGA 775 then I might be stuck in the past. I expect my new computer to last long, but Nehalem is going to use new sockets, and I don't think Intel will use their older ones after its release. Nehalem will cost about $600 for the lowest end just for the MB and CPU. But my budget is only $1000. I would like some other people's opinions before I really decide.

Thanks for reading.

i have been thinking about building an intel rig as well (dreaming really....i don't have the $).

i think that upon nehalem's release, the prices on penryn are going to drop significantly, and you could probably get the best e0 stepping cheaper. you are going to still have scorching performance, and you won't be one of the "guinea pigs" that buy nehalem right at launch and find all of the bugs...(see phenom errata)...

just a thought...probably just my subconcious finding a line of reasoning that results in keeping money in my pocket...

I'm gonna give you some old recycled advice:

If you keep waiting for the next ting before you build, you'll never get anything.

Also, its not like Nehalem will be like a totally different computing experience, its only a 10-15% increase with lower power consumption.

I say save some money and build now, you'll still have a kickin' puter... Its not like people will look at you rig and go "geez is that thing still a socket 775 - yuck!"

Plus with your budget, your bang for the buck will be with the older stuff.

well put it this way nah is to be out what Sep? so if your lucky it will be in stores OCt /Nov

Now, first time out, mobo's will be buggy, expensive as will DDR3 tri ram!

775 thought i heard i recall, isnt getting any new CPU's...?

I don't know if this will help, but: I had been planning on upgrading my P4 rig at the end of the summer. I've been waiting all summer, watching hardware releases, setting up new builds, etc. I thought about waiting for Nehalem, but decided that I've been waiting long enough already, so why bother. Also, as soon as Nehalem comes out, something better will be on the horizon, so it's not like you're missing out forever. Lastly, if you wait till way after Nehalem, DDR3 prices won't be insane. My advice is to just do it and don't look back. You'll be happy. I have all of my parts waiting for me when I get home from work, and let me tell you, I feel great about it.

Even if you don't get a Nehalem in a few months, though, prices on C2D and C2Q will most likely drop. So I would say unless you need this new machine for work or something at the moment, wait a few months

When that comes out, wont the qx series drop in price like all the other older models from each company.

If it happens the way it has in the last ten years, buy yourself a 775 board and and e8500 or e8600, then when nehalem comes out, you should be able too pick up a qx chip for $400.

wow kayson u still on a machine liek that...i can imagaine ul feel so happy that uv waited so patiently for a new system..when nahlem c omes out all prices will go down like mad...great time for a buy!!!!

Thanks guys. I can't even build right now actually because of a money problem. I was originally going to build mid-August. The only time I will be able to use my money will be a little before Christmas. So I guess I will see then.

neha will not require the use of tri-channle but it will be there. you can get a good set of DDR3-1600 for about $200-250, i paid $250 for a good set of DDR2-800 last summer. go figure people complain about high ddr3 vs ddr2. i mean its a fire sale for oem to clear the whearhouse out.

cheapest neha will be around $266 from leaked news. thats not bad imo but the cpu is only 2.66ghz but vs a 45nm quad at the same clock its 30-40% faster per clock. the boards welll people are prolly right they will be around possible $300 low to 400 high. no remember the first run of neha's are as told by intel for the server area or high end market. lower end neha will be out in Q2/Q3-2009.

Whatever you decide, keep in mind your budget is very limited for a launch Nehalem system.

CPU- At least $300 for the 2.66ghz, its supposed to be $266 yes but prices will be inflated for a while, these things will be in hot demand after all.
Mobo- At least $200, I can not imagine any X58 chipset or simmilar board being any cheaper then $200, even this seems too low imo.
RAM- At least $300 for 3/4Gigs DDR3 is expensive.

Thats $800 JUST for the CPU mobo and RAM, leaving you a paltry $200 for a graphics card, PSU, case, hard drive, HSF, etc etc.

I'm thinking for a fairly simple Nehalem launch system your looking at least a good $1400.

For your budget I'd say buy now if you want a new system, or if your willing to wait then buy a socket 775 system once Nehalem is out and you can get higher end socket 775 system with DDR2 and a 45nm Quad that won't break the bank.

IMO wait. Basically it will only cost you ~$400-600 more if you build in 6 months instead of now, but you will have your mobo and everything else, so if you wanna upgrade 2 years later you just have to drop in a new cpu & maybe faster memory. If you wanna upgrade the budget system you build on todays parts you will still have to build it all from scratch then... unless you skip to sandybridge.

agrre with Blazed.

.you buy a top of the line sytem now (one that can play games maxed out except crysis of course...)..which TBH not that pricey..and that will last you long time...opposed to buying a Nehalem..meaning u gotta buy new mobo and preferbley new ram DDR3 and so on... but the downside to that ...low cost build of nehalem wont be worth spending..(price v performance ratio) considering it will be the first generation as well. A top of the line Nehalem will be very exspensive..you spend that much with ur budget you could buy a powerful 45nm intel based system that could play all games with ease...

and buy E.g 2-3 years when the new tech has been around..it will be affordable and have better revisions by then

agrre with Blazed.

.you buy a top of the line sytem now (one that can play games maxed out except crysis of course...)..which TBH not that pricey..and that will last you long time...opposed to buying a Nehalem..meaning u gotta buy new mobo and preferbley new ram DDR3 and so on... but the downside to that ...low cost build of nehalem wont be worth spending..(price v performance ratio) considering it will be the first generation as well. A top of the line Nehalem will be very exspensive..you spend that much with ur budget you could buy a powerful 45nm intel based system that could play all games with ease...

and buy E.g 2-3 years when the new tech has been around..it will be affordable and have better revisions by then
I second that.:thup::clap:

Back