• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Like they said, sleeving ain't easy :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

warlock110

i got my sleeving kit today with molex remover and every (that was my lunch money for 2 whole days going in there). turned out, sleeving ain't easy, and i've wasted my money cuzz there's no freaking way that i'm able to put the wire in the sleeving kit, in the end, i just use electrical tape and warp around the wires, i found that alot easier, and i won't have to remove the molex at all (i play badminton, so i'm use to wrapping rackets's handle) i found that every easy, doesn't look as nice though :), i'll post pix when i'm done.

Why not just remove the molex connectors? Just take a marker and mark what wire goes in what hole on the molex connector...... there aren't that many to keep track of. You won't be able to sleeve the main ATX power connector, but you should be able to sleeve everything else.

It is an all day job though... sleeving my entire PSU took me about 5-6 hours, but it looks really nice when you get done. Electrical tape works, but is it what you're looking for?

not exactly what i was looking for :), i'll give it another try, ugg, it better work this time :)

a thing that i did to make it easier is to use some clear tape and tape the wires together, it makes the sleeving slide over more.

Last edited:
what do you use to cut the wires? mine keep on tearing, the instruction said to use a hot knife, i don't like that, can i just cut it with a sissor and take a lighter to "heat" it a little bit?

what do you use to cut the wires? mine keep on tearing, the instruction said to use a hot knife, i don't like that, can i just cut it with a sissor and take a lighter to "heat" it a little bit?

It sux, its a matter of finding whats good for you. My "cables" ;) frayed a little, but whenever you put on the heat shrink tubing cut it a bit longer to cover any area that may have started to split.

yeh, im just glad the ATX conector on my Fortron was already sleeved. the only conecctor i had a problem on was the 4pin 12v conecctor, i couldn't get it off so i had to slip some over it.

but wa took me longer was sleeving the onbutton, reset buttion and front leds. i sleeved them together asnd i could barly fit the sleeving over the connector, it took a long time.

Last edited:
What I did was take a pair of scissors and cut the sleeving....... it will fray a little bit, but what you do is take a lighter and hold it over the end and it will melt a few of the strands together and that will keep it from fraying.

Don't forget to use the heatshrink tubing, that will prevent it from fraying further and makes your wires look a lot cleaner..... BTW, if you need cheap tools, look for a HarborFreight tool shop in your area.... you can buy a heatgun or any other number of tools over there and they're dirt cheap, perfect for modders. I bought a heatshrink gun over there for 15 bucks and that made it a lot easier than using a lighter to shrink the tubing over the sleeving.

Use a heat gun, I used a lighter and now I dont think I have any finger prints ;) oh well, off to the bank ;) muwuhahaha

i use a digital camera and take a picture, so i know what how to put the wires back. its a pain in the *** to sleeve, but camera helps my out a bit.

It may be late now but I actually spent a good amount of time on sleeving also, the outcome is so worth the time invested. One bad thing is my PSU blew up on me after a couple of months after sleeving so I had to do it again on my new one :(. I read here or maybe some where else that a guy took straws and put his wires from the molex connectors inside and then taped around them, I thought this was a good idea that may make it a bit easier for you to sleeve. One thing you can look forward to since you have already used the electrical tape that will speed up the process of your sleeving.

Oh boy.. Im just about ready to hit the submit button for two sleaving kits and the molex tools..lol..

Looks like im in for a long mod..hehe

a decent option in between the all out sleeving and then the electrical tape is to use the stuff that you use putting amps in cars. radio shack calls it split tubing.
split.jpg

I use this when I build computers for other people. Looks clean, but doesn't take to long to do. I try to route as many power cables as I can behind the mobo tray as well. Then anything that has to show in the front of the case I put this split tubing on. I just get some zip ties to match whatever color i use.

Back