• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LiveDrive or HGTXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Colby

OK everyone give me some advice I like both the SB Live 5.1 Platinum with Livedrive and the Hercules Game Theatre XP with its external control Box. I like having the Joystick port up front on the Hercules and its supposedly better in EAX Support but I loose the cool IR Remote that the Livedrive has. Im really struggling here. If I knew of a cheap mod to move the joystick port up to the front I might go with the Livedrive. Then again Ive had Win2000 shutdown problems with SB Live cards also the EAX hasnt impressed me much with the Live Value or the 512 cards ive used. Well opinions would be appreciatted.

My opinion. Get a white box (OEM) Creative labs 5.1 PCI sound card. They run about $50.

Then, pick up one of those panels that you can route the ports to the front of your computer.

http://www.highspeedpc.com/ About $20

Then, finish it off with something like this.
http://www.refurbdepot.com/productdetails2.cfm?Product_ID=0908 About $160

I know what you're thinking. Why get a receiver? Well, a fully functional receiver with built in DD 5.1 and DTS decoding with amplifier is going to sound better than any sound card.

All you need to make this a fully optical sound setup is a TOS-Link to mini connector that can be found for around $5-$10.

Another advantage to going this route is you'll already have the foundation for a kick butt sound system. Want to add a CD-MP3 changer? No problem. DVD player? No problem. Another benefit is when you upgrade your sound card; it will be a matter of swapping out a sound card and you're in business. You won't lose the investment in your receiver and multimedia interface.

Something to think about. ;D

Colby (Jul 27, 2001 12:30 a.m.):
OK everyone give me some advice I like both the SB Live 5.1 Platinum with Livedrive and the Hercules Game Theatre XP with its external control Box. I like having the Joystick port up front on the Hercules and its supposedly better in EAX Support but I loose the cool IR Remote that the Livedrive has. Im really struggling here. If I knew of a cheap mod to move the joystick port up to the front I might go with the Livedrive. Then again Ive had Win2000 shutdown problems with SB Live cards also the EAX hasnt impressed me much with the Live Value or the 512 cards ive used. Well opinions would be appreciatted.

Richard999 I like your idea but may have found a flaw in it the frontfx device for 20 bucks although nice it seems it has only one speaker jack and doesnt all the SB live 5.1 sound cards have a front and rear on them? my SB512 does. So it would need two jacks. I only see one. Am I blind? or is there a way around this?

I was thinking that you would be using the digital out from the rear of the sound card for powering your speakers.

You'd still be able to use your speakers in ananlog mode. The bypass that goes to the front of the computer is strictly for headphone usage. When you plug in the headphones the front channel speakers will shut off.

What you'll do is plug the headphone/speaker bypass into the back and the speaker plate will go into the spot immediately below. (This is the only downside I can see - taking up a slot) You'll still have speaker port 2 open on the back of the sound card, and the speaker plate that installs directly below (front channel) will be speaker port 1.

Of course, you can alleviate the whole thing by using the spdif port. :)

Colby (Jul 27, 2001 09:37 a.m.):
Richard999 I like your idea but may have found a flaw in it the frontfx device for 20 bucks although nice it seems it has only one speaker jack and doesnt all the SB live 5.1 sound cards have a front and rear on them? my SB512 does. So it would need two jacks. I only see one. Am I blind? or is there a way around this?

Hmmm thanks. I am intrested in this now. Im already using a Technics SA-GX350 so I need to see what it has to offer me I believe it has Dolby Pro-Logic surround sound But I dont know if it has all the features i need that you are describing. How will EAX Games play through this setup wont the Dolby etc.. from the reciever mess up the EAX part? Im sorry I think I need it drawn out for me once I have more than two speakers and a reciever I get Audiophile Dumb but know what I want just dont know how to get it (Does that makes sense) Anyways I need to find an audiophile nut in my neighborhood to help me out I guess. Decisions decisions

Most receivers have the option of turning off pro-logic or dolby digital mode.

Back