• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Logitech Z5500's. Really worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i have the logitech x-540's and they are a fraction of the pric of the z5's but all the extra money you have left over could go towards an ssd or soemthing else nice ^^

are the klipsch promedia 2.1 still around? i have them for years and they are awesome! sub 200 speakers.

I believe so, but they're not the same as the ones from 8 or 9 years ago that were awesome. The quality is much much lower in the current models.

Just because the logitech stuff is "made for computers" doesn't mean it's any good. Would you buy a mouse from klipsch, or order a steak at McDonalds? The only thing any logitech speakers are good for is loud game noises. If you plan to listen to music at all, you will never be happy with logitech.

One thing Id like to add about computer speakers. The main thing that kills them most are their very small drivers. Most makers use 2" or 3" drivers in their speakers. A driver that small cannot produce ample midrange frequencies, especially if the sub cuts out at 150 to 180Hz. The smaller drivers probably dont get into the mix until ~1000 to 2000Hz. At that point, youve lost most of your mid range. Mids are the most important in the audio spectrum, as thats were the magic lies. Regardless if youre watching movies, playing games, or listening to music, little or no mid range makes for a dull experience.

i got mine for 240 canadian before taxes at a sale. get a 80$ sound card with optical out and you got yourself an awesome system. the subwoofer will shake your lights and vibrate your pants, the speakers will surprise you everytime the rear speakers tells you theres a guy behind you. i would not recommend these if you live near ppl that dont like their walls shaken.

hm, im actually veering more towards headphones. So yeah...still not sure though. I really don't want loud! loud i can easily achieve but i want good quality sound. And now i mostly just chuck headphones on these days. So wat you guys reckon?

Logitech G35 or the Razer Megalodon? hm, i was think the razer but i reckon that sound morphing is neat. Soo undecided. haha, don't programs morph your voices though?

hm, im actually veering more towards headphones. So yeah...still not sure though. I really don't want loud! loud i can easily achieve but i want good quality sound. And now i mostly just chuck headphones on these days. So wat you guys reckon?

Logitech G35 or the Razer Megalodon? hm, i was think the razer but i reckon that sound morphing is neat. Soo undecided. haha, don't programs morph your voices though?
headphonesss man.
+1 Logitech G35, although i remember reading the 7.1 surround sound wasn't really accurate...and you can't plug them into mp3s cos it uses a USB head. :shrug:
i still like them over Megalodon though.
swedish company...or was it switzerland. ^o)
anyway, it's good quality stuff.
it looks better IMO as well.
who woudln't wnat to swear in alien voices?

ROFL, i asked marco and he said that you could get a program for that :S i think. i dunno. I was reading this site and it did a comparison and it said the Razer had better sound quality. Ill use my Clearchat ones in my mp3 if need be :)

the Megalodons cost more though don't they? about $50 mroe i think.
Patsy has them. i don't like how the built-on audio processor is so chunky and huge though. it kind of doesn't make it a 'portable' headset anymore, rather, it is more of an audio system that sits on your ears.

hm, doesn't patsy have the Fata1ty's? those black and read ones isn't it? or did he do another pointless upgrade? sigh... wish i had his funds. haha, thats wat im looking for. Cause im wanted speakers but parents were saying how if i have it on it'll drown out the surround sound for computer. So instead ill get ones that fit on your ear. I'm happy to pay the extra 50 though for them. I want them cause i already have a Razer Lycosa and Diamondback so yeah, thought i would continue the razer trend :)

yeap another pointless upgrade you could call it.
he said it was best headset he's ever used, but he always says that when he buys new stuff...remember his Thermaltake Spedo? :santa:

yeah the Razer headset wil suit your peripherals. a cool feature is the blue Razer icons that light up on both cups of the headphone, when you use them.

Since you were looking at spending $400, why not pick up a pair of nice cans and a headphone amp? The l33t gamer stuff is nowhere close. Sennheiser HD595s and a Little Dot Mk III tube headphone amp can be had for around $400 AU. That setup will be a whole staircase above any of the computer specific offerings.

well, see i was hoping for 400 for a speaker system. My budget for headphones is 200 especially if they wont connect to an mp3 device or anything like that

once again why the hell look to gaming companies for an audio device. $200 for headphones is a decent budget and the crap put out by logitech and razor are basically children's toys.

here's a start
Grado SR-225, Alessandro MS-2, Sennheiser HD595 and Audio Technica ATH-A900

any of those sets will BLOW that gaming trash out of the water and keep you well within your budget. If you're going to spend, buy some real gear.

I'd say that headphones will suit your needs better. I am unsuire which yuo should specifically go for though.

as for the logitech, for gaming they are fantastic, for films they are good and for music they are bad.

a similar priced stereo HT set will be the reverse of the above. Fantastic for music, good for films, average for games (loosing the sub and rears is annoying)

I used the z5500 for 2 years and enjoyed them. However I have now gone to the setup in my sig and this blows them so far out of the water it isn't even funny (but at a lot higher cost :/)

The main thing Im trying to get at...dont follow my path. I bought up all the gamer garbage back in my audio newbie days, and I thought it sounded good, since Ive never heard better. Staying clear of the gamer garbage will save you money in the long run, because eventually, you WILL want something better.

The main thing Im trying to get at...dont follow my path. I bought up all the gamer garbage back in my audio newbie days, and I thought it sounded good, since Ive never heard better. Staying clear of the gamer garbage will save you money in the long run, because eventually, you WILL want something better.
i guess we all have to go through that stage ey.
i've been following this thread a bit as well, friends with Cuiiey as well.
what dyou recommend?
i, myself, have Logitech Z5400s. i got them solely because i wanted 5.1 surround and enough oomph.
we're just not familiar with any audio brands, other than say Sony, Logitech, Creative and what not.

:)

One thing to remember about gaming and digital output is that you'll need a sound card to convert the 5.1 sound to DD or DTS if your going to send the signal to the Z5500's. Otherwise you'll only get 2 channel sound over the digital interface. Only movies will give you DD or DTS natively to the speakers. To get around that problem you can run a few 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cables, but then you introduce some noise, and I don't think the Z5500's sound that great over the analog inputs.

I have the Z5500's and in my small office and I think they are great for immersive gaming. I use an X-Plosion sound card w/ DTS-Interactive so that the Z5500's always see a DTS signal while I game. I got my Z5500's brand new for $180, and they are well worth that price. I wouldn't spend much more than that, though.

Last edited:
For the $300-350 price they are at, it may be better to get a real receiver, but given that I didn't have to pay that much I love them. I've been using my set for like 3 years and no issues, paired with an X-Fi sound card, running the coaxial digital to it. I'm wondering if I should just go with the analog, though...

After owning it, I had noticed some sales for like $160-200 after rebate, and even thought about buying a 2nd set, but never did. Hopefully you can find the set for cheaper, but at $350 or so that you've seen, I wouldn't personally pay that.... I'd spend $350 on a receiver instead.

once again why the hell look to gaming companies for an audio device. $200 for headphones is a decent budget and the crap put out by logitech and razor are basically children's toys.

here's a start
Grado SR-225, Alessandro MS-2, Sennheiser HD595 and Audio Technica ATH-A900

any of those sets will BLOW that gaming trash out of the water and keep you well within your budget. If you're going to spend, buy some real gear.
This is a very good start.

For speakers, get a real home theater. Seriously. It will kick the crap out of the logitechs. $400 will buy you a decent home theater in a box...
http://www.jr.com/onkyo/pe/ONK_HTS3200/ $324 shipped!

If you don't have the room for that, get a receiver and perhaps the energy take 5s, although I recommend larger speakers if you can fit them. I bought a set of used take 5 classics + sub + speaker stands for <$200 shipped on ebay.

Back