• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a 21-22" CRT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
I'm looking for something to replace the Viewsonic A90f I have for a primary display. Right now I run my 19" at 1280x1024 @ 75Hz, and it's fine, but I'd like something a little bigger. I run dual monitors, but my secondary is an old, non-flat 19" with severe brightness issues. I'm thinking that if I could find a good 21" or 22" CRT, I could get rid of the older 19" and use my Viewsonic 19" for a secondary display. What do you guys think? I'm obviously not terribly picky...I really like my A90f even though it's not the best of monitors.

I've been checking Craigslist, Azatek.com, and the Dell refurbished, but I haven't found anything so far. What are some good specs and or models that I should look for?

hey man, i have the exact same monitor, and im looking for the same thing a new monitor the refresh rates arent very good for me and i want a bigger screen.

Im looking at the viewsonics 21" in the $400 dollar range

ya truthfully i dont have 400 to spend, id like to spend around 200-300

Keep looking on ebay man for 21" monitors. I always see lots of Sony Trinitron Dell 21" monitors going for pretty cheap on ebay.

Lots of times there are sellers that are selling leasebacks that are in poor cosmetic condition but still work perfect.

I would just keep hunting on ebay, or that first Trinitron monitor you linked that was $80 looked good. I think B refers to some physical blemishes but the tube should still be in perfect condition. I would repaint mine black anyway so who cares if it is a B.

The B refers to a physical blemish on the actual screen - a scratch or burn. I've been looking around, and I don't want something on the actual glass. :/

u cant go wrong with trintron, i run a multiscan g500 sony 21 and i bought it used about a year ago. its awesome period. Its a perfect flat like all the ones u have above. There all types of spony variants, like dell,ibm they all have sony guts dont worry. I shopped around and found a badged sony instead of getting another branded one. My best friend purschsed a older (made in 02) dell trintron 19 from somewebsite and its another awesome monitor. Personally i wouldnt buy a new monitor at all. I would get a older 21 inch sony or dell.THese monitors were like over 1000 new. U just cant beat geting a 21 inch monitor, its the best upgrade u can get. Espicially when its a sony trintron.

My Concerns

I am a firm believer in the Sony Trinitrons.I have bought them new and refurbished (from Sony).I have never used the IBM version but I have seen the Dell version.There is one quote made by the seller that would scare me if I was considering purchasing one of the ones listed on your link.
. This unit is considered our B1 grade, which means there will be a small scratch or minor burn on the tub
I have a real problem with burns on the tube.This could result in you seeing two lines on the Sonys.If it was me I would keep looking but not discount trying to find another Sony.

For ebay dealers, hit up cosmicdallas. Watch him for a good week or two for the ibm trinitrons with free shipping to pop up, comes out to around $140-$155 shipped for the ibm 21" grade A, i forget the model numbers but its the two higher end units. The merchant also has a decent service rep to boot.

He also sells the two Dell equivalents, but again for the life of me i can't remember exactly which ones they are.

Back