• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for new CPU/MoBo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarlD

just as the title discribes, i'm looking at getting a new CPU and Motherboard, the build i've got currently is a couple years old and i've had problems since i put it together. I've been mostly a AMD guy for the last few years but with the problems they've had recently i'm looking at going Intel. due to work and other factors i'm kinda out of the loop on CPU's. What i'm looking for is a quad-core, between 3.3-4.0gigs, nothing supper expensive (200-350 range) and a good mortherboard to go with it. Thanks

wow...slower and more expensive than AMD...any reason why they aren't in the 3.3ish range instead of the 2.8?

Clock speed is not everything when it comes to CPU's. Remember the old days when a 2.0 GHz AMD blew away a 3.8 GHz Intel? Same thinking...but opposite now.

I would recommend an I5 or I7 over a 9550. 775 is dead technology. There will never be a new CPU for that board. I5 is cheaper or maybe a little more expensive than a 9550 and will blow away what you have now and can be overclocked at or close to 4.0. You will have to get new memory too. All current Intel and AM3 AMD boards require DDR3. You can use an AM3 CPU in an AM2+ board with DDR2.

Last edited:
um...ok, i was just wondering, i'm at the beginning stages of putting stuff together for a new build, going to keep the case, and vid card for now RAM was definitely something that I was looking at changing out anyway, 2gb isn't enough, I had 3 but one burned out and was causing a lot of issues. it was just odd that AMD's 3.3-3.5 cpu's are 100 or more less than Intel's especially in today's market.

965 is at a terrible price point. 955 would be just fine in AMD land putting the pricing back to competative for i5/i7. Not to mention he can just drop in a 955 into his current motherboard I believe...

I would also go with an i5 setup (socket 1156) or i7 (socket 1366) if you can afford it.

It would be most helpful to list a budget and any possible holdover parts.

EDIT: I see you made a duplicate thread....booooooo (general hardware and a single thread would be best IMHO)

Anyway, it may also be best to wait until Feb since in your duplicate thread stated you will not be purchasing until then. Pricing and availability for parts could be quite different.

Last edited:
yeah, i didn't think about it being a doup thread, just wanted both perspectives, some guys are amd only, some intel only, my bad

Back