• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for some help w 8K3A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cisco Kid

Hi guys I am hoping there are some Gurus out there like Silver that read this and can help me out.

All equipment is in sig, for cooling there is 1 80 mm Sunon case fan exhausting hot air an AX-7 on cpu with ASII and a 80 mm Thermaltake Smart fan 2 cooling it.

Temps using MBM 5 with sensor 2 connected to Winbond 2 Diode are showed 48 celcius right after I just finished playing Unreal 2003 for 45 minutes. I was told by other 8K3A users that this gives the most accurate reading of XP cpu temps through the on die thermostat. At idle now system temp is 32 and cpu shows 44 celcius.

I am able to run the chip at 166 fsb using turbo settings in the bios, no other settings or memory timing has been altered. I need 1.8 to run at 166 fsb although I am sure it will do at 1.775. I have left memory voltage at default. I have not run prime 95 for any length of time to test stability yet. I am using 2619 Epox bios and not sure of the 4 in 1's anyone recommend the best or should I just get the latest??

I attempted to run 3D Mark2K1 SE trying to break 10K as I am short 200 pts. When I had an 1800XP in system running at default I with vid card overclocked to 300/300 , 3 D mark ran fine. Nowtrying at 1.744 ghz the first test completes then I get kicked out to desktop. I can not get it to complete , getting a runtime error??? Video card driver is catalyst 2.3 ATI built.

I can run 3D Mark 2K1 SE at default cpu speed and complete it so there must be something holding me up. I am looking for specific settings that should be changed in my bios if anyone can help. I have not tried gaming with UT2003 at 166 fsb with video card clocked to 275/275. I am assuming I have good enough cooling right? I plan to give a go with UT 2003 and vid card at 275/275 to see if it will work.

Just wanna get this system stable.

Thanks

Cisco KId

What ram are you running? I would install the latest official bios too. DO NOT SET RAM TO TURBO! Set to normal, and then set the values manually. Moving ram to different slots helps too. Up your ram voltage, I run 2.9 at 181FSB. Try this and see if it helps.

thanks for the suggestions, hope I get some more feedback here

cisco kid

come on guys someone must have input, Silver where art thou??

cisco kid

With my current setup, I'm running the 2815 BIOS (which made a big difference over the original one) locked XP 1600, Hec 350 watt (drops to 4.87 running FAH) 256 megs Kingmax PC2700 (Turbo, CAS 2.5 2.8 volts) and the FSB at 168x10.5, CPU at 1.775 core. With my GF4 Ti 4200 (285/600) I got 12,200 on 3D Mark last night. I was having problems with blue screens until I bumped the voltages up. But with the new PSU and the voltage bumped up it seems to be running smooth.

thanks for the info repo man 11 however from what I have seen most say the 2619 bios has been the best but I may have to give the 2815 a whirl, caN YOU FILL ME IN ON YOUR MEM TIMING SETTINGS AND WHETHER you are using normal fast fastest or turbo mode and also is your fast rewrites enabled.

Cisco Kid

I run my Samsung 2700 at Turbo 1t, etc and do some further tweaks to get more bandwidth. I do however use 2.9v on the ram to achieve this. At your present settings this much voltage should not be necessary. Move the ram up one on the voltage and see what you get. I have been playing with my LE as of present and find that the drivers have a huge impact on it, especially the latest. I do have to admit to not having the same level of experience with the Radeons as I do with Nvidia though. Temps on cpu under load appear to be good.

2815 bios is a good one. You might give it a try. Memory timings on it are still not as tight as the 2619.

I have my Kingmax PC2700 running in Turbo mode, except the SDRAM Cycle Length (CAS) which I have to change to 2.5. I have fastwrites enabled. I'm pretty happy with my $70.00 Newegg Refurb board.

What is the newest version or the best 4 in 1 via drivers that can be recommended.

I am gonna try to unlock an 1800XP that I have and if all goes well I will do to my 1600 as well.

Also a note is I can play UT 2003 at default cpu speed and the video card at 275/275 with no problems, I also can play with the the fsb set to 166 and video card at 275/275 , I did this for 30 minutes and system was fine.

I question whether their could be an issue with the driver while running 3D Mark at the 166fsb??

Cisco KId

I am gonna make a few mods in bios and then get back to you guys thanks for the help, plz keep checking back, LOL I do need any help I can get!!

Cisco KId

Good luck on the unlock. I know that you can do it. Take your time and check well the bridges to insure that none are touching. I use the members of my family to insure that I am not cross eyed when I think that they are good. Do not, and I repeat, Do Not put any power to a processor in which you are not sure. This can only lead to a bad experience. Redo the bridges and try again. Let us know of your results. I am personally very anxious to hear of good things.:cool: (My boy told me to use that Icon).

well I unlocked an XP1800 and an XP1600 I have but can not put it in till Sat sometime so hope all is well, asked my wife to make sure everything looked good under mag glass.

Got one more 1600 but I will leave it in case I fry these 2 lol, do not think I will though.....

cisco kid

Cisco Kid said:
well I unlocked an XP1800 and an XP1600 I have but can not put it in till Sat sometime so hope all is well, asked my wife to make sure everything looked good under mag glass.

Got one more 1600 but I will leave it in case I fry these 2 lol, do not think I will though.....

cisco kid

Nor do I. :)

had a bugger of a time to remove AX-7 slipped twice , gouged mobo and gave up. Mobo still works but looking for suggestions on removing this sink before I test unlocked chips!!:(

Cisco KId

For the AX7 you need a screwdriver that fits in the slot snugly. You should be able to press down a little, then use the leverage of the screwdriver to pull the clip away from the tabs. If you don't have enough room because of something blocking access, you'll need to remove whatever it is, CDROM, other drives etc. Make sure that you can see what you're doing, get a bright light, or a flashlight to shine into the case. Be patient, I'd hate for you to end up with a chipped core or a dead mobo.

Yes, those AX-7's have a tight clip. I have the best results using a relatively thin flat head screwdriver, holding it closer to the tip so if I do slip, it doesn't slip too far due to the short fulcrum.

Also, I haven't tried this personally, but wrapping the tip in electrical tape might alleviate any PCB damage from an accidental gouge.

Well I have done it. I have achieved stability with my 8K3A board using bios 2619. I just needed to up my dimm voltage to 2.8 and my core to 1.8 and all is good, I have not put my unlocked 1600 or 1800 in system yet to test as this current 1600 is running at 166fsb, all good.

Cisco KId

Back