• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for the right case.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gnufsh

I'm looking at getting a new case, but I haven't been able to find exactly what I'm looking for. Ideally, it would have a 120mm intake fan and a 120 or 92mm exhaust. I need a couple of HDD bays a couplr of 5 1/2 inch bays, a spot for a floppy and front usb ports (preferably near the middle or top of the case). I don't want a super fancy looking case (no need for windows, strange paint jobs and whatnot). I would like to be able to attach a dust filter to the intake fan. Aluminum is prefreable as a case material, and a removable motherboard tray would be great. Any suggestions?

Hmm... I've got a Coolermaster Wavemaster case. Is aluminum, has the removable mobo tray. Fan set up is different tho. 2 80mm intake in front and 1 80mm (moddable to 92mm) in back.

Serves me well enough.

I don't really like the thermaltake cases. I definately want 120mm fans, not 80mm or 92mm. The Lian-Li looks perfect except for the lack of a mobo tray and the fact that the front ports are on the bottom (when my case is on the floor, they are hard to reach).

I can't see you finding all your desires in one case without cutting. Couple are close, but not there.

The 120MM front/back is easy. Now the tray and Al becomes hard, it makes the price jump $50. Try and be flexable with the metals. Maybe bend a little with the intakes, a twin 80 can be made into a 1x120MM. The rear fans are harder to mod out.

That would be the perfect case if you do find it though. I ask for the same specs as you. I found a cheapy case and broke out the cutting stuff. I found through Dremel, my perfect case. Skyhawk 4611...

I will personally hunt for a case for you. Like I mentioned, it is (honest) tough specs you ask for. To bad the case makers don't read OCF>

I take it you don't want a "in case PSU" ..lol///

Edit:

This is the closest I could find in your spec wish list:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112102

I am sure the is better. I think this has the most of all the specs your asking for. Most of the Lian Li PC-6x series may interest you.

Last edited:
If the P160 doesn't fit the bill I would take another shot at looking guys :)

I really like the Coolermaster Stacker 830. Plenty of cooling pathways for 120mm fans and drive space. Very easy to get in and out of it.

j2.jpg

j3.jpg

j4.jpg

j5.jpg

If you can't find a case with all your other criteria AND the usb ports at the top of the case, you can always throw a multi-function 5.25 drive bay device in there that will give you usb, firewire etc. Put that in the top drive bay and you are set :D

I may have to do that, I'm also flexible on the metal. The cooler master cases are a little strange looking, the antec P160 looks good (although fairly expensive). Thanks for your help on this, one of these should end up fitting the bill (although it may have to wait until I have a bit more money).

Last edited:
Back