• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for the second best vid card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
Time to retire my pair of RX 580 cards. I know the best graphics card for benchmarking and gaming is probably the Titan RTX (well over $2k). Nope, I'll pass. It didn't take me long to figure out the next best thing is the RTX 2080 Ti. At first, I wanted to snag an Asus ROG Strix vid card... but, still too expensive.

I saw a couple review articles online that said the EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION is retailing for about $1k (most vendors are selling them for a bit more than that). I've heard a lot of nice things about that card and read a few grumpy comments about it running a bit hot. However, I have a blow hole on my side panel that feed the vid card fresh intake air.

What RTX 2080 Ti (besides the EVGA) will OC nicely for a decent price? Any hint that prices might be dropping soon?

I guess it's goodbye Radeon and hello GeForce (again after many years).

What RTX 2080 Ti (besides the EVGA) will OC nicely for a decent price? Any hint that prices might be dropping soon?

There may be some price drops on the horizon. The lower end rtx cards have had somewhat of a drop in the last week with some 2060’s and 70’s available below msrp here in the U.K. at least.

However the higher end “overclocked” cards do tend to hold on to the higher price tags longer.

I found a vendor that has the EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti black edition for $1050 and I checked the EVGA site and like Witchy said, it's listed for $999 with an auto notify.

I'm toying with the idea of adding the GPU into my loop down the road, all I'd need to buy is the GPU water block. Another option is a hybrid AIO, which might fit better in my setup, but adds several hundreds of bucks extra to the price of the card and don't cool as good as a custom loop anyway.

I was surfing this morning and found several articles claiming Nvidia announced a price drop on the RTX 20 series. Maybe I'll hold off for a week or two and see what happens.

Nice! Thanks for the link. I might need to check some block comparison reviews. I really love the looks of the XSPC Razor Neo for the RTX 2080 Ti.

They are all going to end up around the same clocks give or take 50 hz. Brand/model doesnt really dictate the clocks outside of perhaps pre binned cards like the kingpin or HOF versions.

^ This ^

There may be a few BIOS files out there that can help throw some voltage at it and up the power limits

I would not recommend with stock cooler but if you throw a block on it would be fine :)

Okay, we got a plan. Buy a RTX 2080 Ti when a good deal pops up, and in the meantime, decide which water block and back plate to get.

Most of the available water blocks are for the reference design cards. Are there any RTX 2080 Ti cards that are not standard reference design?

yes there are a ton of them

But the eVGA Black is a reference design, that card is the best deal out there

If not going with that you are probably just as well off buying a card that already has a block and a upgraded BIOS

You are correct again, sir. I discovered that EK has webpage that you can look up what card you have and see if it fits. The EVGA black is a reference design card and the EK block does fit. I plan on doing the install myself just for old time sakes. I know there is a lot of thermal tape choices ranging from crap to good. What's on the better end?

EDIT 1: Oh boy, there's different thickness thermal pads/thermal tape. Looks like I need to do more research to see what I need.

EDIT 2: The water block kit comes with the correct thermal pads, so I'll just use those and keep it simple.

Last edited:
Well kids, I picked up one of the EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition cards. Now that I bought it, I found out there are two Black Edition cards: (1) 11G-P4-2281-KR and (2) 11G-P4-2282-KR. The one I got is the cheaper $999 card (11G-P4-2281-KR) that is capped at 112% power limit, while the other is the XC Black version which has a higher power limit (129%). Figures, I should have done a bit more homework before running out and buying one. The water block is on order. I'll start a new thread in the Nvidia section when I get the block and post some before and after comparisons. The other option is to return the vid card (box is unopened and is still sealed) and get the non-neutered card (more bucks).

Return it if you want it... that is why they have these return policies. UNder water I would imagine you would want the higher power limit BIOS.

Is it a different PCB or just a different BIOS? Any reason why? Could just flash it if you're facing a significant restocking fee...?

I'll do more research on whether the PCB is the same or not. As for BIOS, the XC Black version does have BIOS updates with the higher power limit, but so far, it looks like the one I bought can't be flashed. Someone somewhere out there has probably figured this out and has a hacked BIOS, so I will do more searching.

As for returning it, I bought it from the Micro Center in the Kansas City area (1.5 hour drive away). According to their return policy, I can return it for a full refund. But, looks like I'll have to pay another $200 more for the card I want, plus a few gallons of gasoline and a headache from driving in the big city and fighting traffic (I live out in the middle of nowhere).

EDIT: I found more info regarding the EVGA black edition.

Black Editions without XC in the name are not allowed from nvidia to run with higher power limits. You have not the A chip, so it is not binned and like I wrote, they are the ones with lower power limit, therefore the much lower price. Higher power limit and binned chip = anything with XC or FTW in the name = higher Price (no XC lowest power Limit, XC higher power Limit, FTW3 max power Limit).

These non A Chips are also not compatible with an A Chip Bios. So you can´t install a Bios with higher power limit you find somewhere in the internet.

What a crock of guano.

Last edited:
Its a $200 price difference?!! Wow....... I was thinking maybe $50... doesn't seem worth it at that cost, and especially the time involved.

So it comes down to if a BIOS mod can be done in 3hrs + $200 worth of your time.

p.s. I'm from the KC metro originally, hate driving in O.P. so I feel your pain.

Back