• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LOOOOOONG list to do.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

SO its been a while...i should make a separate post explaining that. for now, i will post this list of stuff i have in mind.

i am currently receiving around 1,600 dollars from ed jones and then receive another 500 or 600 in jan. i wil be using, at max, 910 dollars to build this computer. i will also put 500 dollars into savings that i will only touch when
a" water balloon hits teh fan" moment happens.

COMPUTER IS HERE>> http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=19878072

i must, AT ALL COSTS, keep the computer at 910 or below.

I plan on giving the PD to my sister who plays portal and portal 2 and maybe other steam games. it has a E5200, Geforce 8400, 2gb of DDR2 800, and the motherboard is an asrock g31m-s with a 160gb seagate. she also does some heavy multi tasking sometimes...too much for the P4HT she has right now.

finally i have an old dell, MSI, and HP that use Socket 478. the HP needs a new supply so it can work well again, MSI acts weird, and the DELL needs a new fan, ODD, and HDD. should i recycle these or fix what i can at a low price?

i also found a power supply laying around that makes a strange whining noise. i ignored it and put it in a computer and it worked fine for a while and now its crashing the router every time it comes on the network. shall i replace its PSU also?

and finally i have a server that uses Two Pentium 3 procssors and has three hard drives. 80gb main, 20gb for game server, and 250 gb for storage. i realize that its not exactly fast enough to do server hosting and file transfers fast enough so i plan to use the p3 to run two HLDS servers and then build another server for SRCDS and use it for file transfers as well. i dont want to buy some expensive server stuff off of newegg and plan to use socket 771 stuff instead. unless i find something else that isnt so intense because right now im using an old gateway right now to host my team fortress 2 MVM server and sometimes it lags when there are way to enemies coming in. it has just a 2ghz Pentium 4 with 512mb of ram. i tried the p3 but it wasnt good enough as things would start to lag hardcore.

now (hopfully) that i have explained everything that im going to try and work on, what do you suggest i do? i will do whatever you suggest. ill do whatever you suggest to do to the older desktops i have.

Are you sure that's your list you linked to? It has four $1k GPUs in it.

PSUs that whine can be an issue, what brand is it?

If that is your list let us know and we'll step through it and check it out.

For the new desktop, just ignore the ones you answ
ered already.

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

whops! thats strange! 690s removed.

back down to 900 dollars.

What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.

playing BF3, Mirrors edge, left 4 dead 1 and 2, half life 2 series (with maximum settingS!), and team fortress 2.

my budget is 910 dollars. no copy of winows or keyboard and mouse. already have that.

im in Rio Rico, arizona, USA. (arizonas so hot that when the devil came here for a vacation, he left early saying "man im outta her its hotter then hell").

i plan on using newegg right now. and if by microcenter you mean by comptuer store, there are two i know of in tucson which is SWS computers and Bluechip computers.

the only thing i plan on doing with the computer is to get the feel of SLI, Overclocking, and to get a better feel of this new tech. (i do go watch motherboards.org and linus tech tips but im only seeing)

i dont mind the fan noise but i wold like it at a minimum. dont want it to sound like theres a pentium 3 in there though.

hopefully this answered all his questions.

shall i also include what i want out of the server im trying to get?

and shoudl i really give at least teh HP a chance? the PS in there is the only thing thats acting funky.

Last edited:
hmmm...

i replaced i believe only the graphics card and cpu. you dropped it by ten dollars

anyways for the asrock board, maybe. i have an asrock board here that used to act really funky until i overclocked it. i also remember how the nic would die then come back to life and then die. every other network adapter on it would also have connectivity issues. even the PCI kinds. i also remember how i had an old chaintech board that did the same thing except it also took the network down with it. every fix i through at it was like try to kill a beast that just laughs at anything you try to kill him with.

anyway, i have had success with boards that use intel nics. so maybe ill stick with the board i picked...or better yet, what board do you use? do you use its on board nic? any problems with it? and if its the same board as the one you suggested me then maybe ill give asrock a second chance and realtek a THIRD chance.

also the HDD concerns me....wouldnt Sata III give me better performance? i feel i only need a 320gb hard drive thats sata III...idk if the one i have is the one. plus i do keep most of my stuff on the server i have.

feel free to revise. right now, im actually a bit impressed. price lowered down to 890 ^^

any ideas what to do with the others computers though? idk if i should recycle them or sell them or just give them away to others in need (i know some people)

ASRock boards have gotten MUCH better in recent years.

SATA II vs SATA III doesn't make any difference on hard drives. Only matters for SSDs.

320GB is terrible GB per dollar compared to 1TB.

ASRock boards have gotten MUCH better in recent years.

SATA II vs SATA III doesn't make any difference on hard drives. Only matters for SSDs.

320GB is terrible GB per dollar compared to 1TB.

i trust your judgement on that sir. replacing the hard drive.

i still haven't gotten a response on what i should do with the socket 478 computers. i really dont know if i should sell them or just give them away or recycle them (seeing how tech is so no that SSe4 will become a system requirement).

i also oveclocked the Pentium D of mine by changing the ram settings frmo ddr667 to ddr800 (just found out it was like that after more than 2 years) and also overclocked the 8400 for fun. runs so much better now that it makes me want to upgrade its ram, video, and processor and then give it to my sister ^u^

EDIT: the HD103SJ brought the price up to 895....i think ill leave it alone for now. i did do some digging around and found a desktop pc with a SATA II 250gb hard drive. so i think ill buy that drive later and then when i get a source of income ill purchase that 1tb.im leaving it lits for now but i wont purchase it at the time i receive the money.

Last edited:
just replaced the motherboard. i hope your right about the motherboard. i would like to know if you have an asrock motherboard.

I have the same mobo you wont regret it. The nic is fine on these boards now. Its a broadcom nic, as opposed to the realtek.

Thats a very solid rig. I also would like to vouch for Asrock, I used to have an older model and 2 of my friends have this exact one i5's. They are extremely satisfied :).

heres what the wishlist looks like so far

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=19878072

check still on its way...dont know if it should be coming today or tommaro. i really wish i could have included two graphics cards but i dont know if i would need the performance.

still working on it btw.

looked around for the radeon 8000 series for giggles. read it will be coming out in 2013 :\

im being tempted to just wait.

Last edited:
Wouldn't trust a Raidmax PSU with anything you wouldn't want to kill.

No combo deals? :(

If you wait for the next big thing, you'll be waiting forever. Wait that long for 8xxx, then it'll only be a month or two for Haskell (new CPUs). By the time Haswell comes out, GTX7xx series.

Also remember bleeding edge tech costs more. 7870 released above $300.

Stay away from raidmax. I've bought one, it died.
Thankfully it was polite enough to do it without killing anything else, but I definitely would not buy another one. Or use one, at all.

Wouldn't trust a Raidmax PSU with anything you wouldn't want to kill.

No combo deals? :(

If you wait for the next big thing, you'll be waiting forever. Wait that long for 8xxx, then it'll only be a month or two for Haskell (new CPUs). By the time Haswell comes out, GTX7xx series.

Also remember bleeding edge tech costs more. 7870 released above $300.

:cry: COMPUTERS HAVE LEFT ME IN DESPAIR!:cry:

:cry: MONEY HAS LEFT ME IN DESPAIR!:cry:

and finally

:cry: THE INTERNET HAS LEFT ME IN DESPAIR!:cry:

now that im done having my despair, you think i should just get a 700 watt power supply and then buy another 7870 if it turns out that i need better performance?

and boy do i feel limited right now.

A good 700W PSU should have no issues with dual 7870s. It's just that the Raidmax was a pretty shi**y PSU. :D. And yes, I think buying a PSU with enough wattage for dual cards is a good futureproofing method.

Newegg has changed a few of their combo deals. I'll post a new recommendation in a bit.

A good 700W PSU should have no issues with dual 7870s. It's just that the Raidmax was a pretty shi**y PSU. :D. And yes, I think buying a PSU with enough wattage for dual cards is a good futureproofing method.

will you please pick a supply for me, Rabbi Knufire?

Back