• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lucent Winmodem dying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Despotes

I was replying to a message here when I lost my power for a few seconds. I rebooted and dialed up(56K) and the dial up sound is louder and sounds a bit distorted. I now cannot get above 24000 bps when I was getting around 44000bps. All the settings are the same as before the power loss. Device manager says my device is working ok. Norton's Utilities said my modem is working alright, somehow I don't think so. I reinstalled the drivers, but still the same.
Is my modem pooping the beddy? If so, what site has a Lucent Winmodem available to buy?(cant find any) Or, which modem is the best for 56K(gaming and downloading)
Thanks

The death of a winmodem would be good news to me, haha.

If they still have them, you can get a Diamond Supra Express 56K V.90 HARDWARE external modem from CompGeeks for $22 +S&H. I would say that's an excellent deal for a hardware modem. Should be great for gaming as well and won't rob you of any resources like Winmodems do.

Here's a link directly to it...looks like they still got them.

A hardware modem has it's own UART and does all processing itself. A Winmodem uses your PC's processor and onboard UART to change digital to analog and vice versa.

Basically, hardware modems are more stable, drop less packets, use less resources and give a cleaner connection than do Winmodems. An external serial modem such as that one is usally more stable than a PCI/ISA hardware modem as well.

No problem. CompGeeks are a little slow to get the order processed and out the door but I think you'll be happy with them.

I've ordered from them at least a half-dozen times and it's all good stuff. I always recommend them for a bargain.

"A little slow"? I hope not. I selected the 2nd day delivery and I'll probably get it next Thursday??:eek:
My dial up speeds have decreased even further, to a maximum of 16,800bps. That's when I redial about 5-10 times just to get any kind of a connection.
Why can't cable or dsl be affordable and available??:rolleyes:

Getting is 2nd Day Air will only apply after they have actually shipped it. If ordered yesterday, I would say by next Tuesday-Wednesday at the latest.

Always took them at least one full day before anything I ordered went out their door but they've got good prices and I believe their 2nd Day Air is only $6-7...not bad there either.

It's a good modem though and you got a great deal in my opinion. The wait will be worth it once it's in.

I'm going nuts right now since my 8KHA+, 1.4GHz Tbird, IBM 20GB 60GXP and a few other parts are sitting on a Fed Ex truck less than 5 minutes from me and I don't know that I'll even get that stuff today. Which means...I'll have to wait the entire damn weekend for something that is walking distance away. Now that would suck. It's only going to be a SETI rig, but geez...

Despotes said:

I'd love to, but not available:( PLus it's VERY expensive
:burn: (can't believe I'm online...)

Really cheap here in Canada.

Right now its only 20 Canadian bux for like 6 months then it's 40 dollars Canadian again..

Heard in the states it was 40USD for DSL..

really expensive fs!

Hey Jon. This new modem is amazing!! This can't be right, but my current dial up speed is 115,200bps!! Uhh, it's only 56K??:eh?:
:eek: :burn: :cool: :D

Back