• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Macs Are Better" Mentalities

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You know in keeping this civil I should make a few points.

1. These threads especially when titles such as "funny little Mac lovers" are just flamebaiting and I feel the OP should be warned because this thread could have gone South in a HURRY.

2. The majority of people who bash a Mac don't know a damned thing about them or are working off of tired 2 generation old misconceptions

3. The big argument against Apple is "OMG they r teh $$$$$". When comparing (*ahem*) Apples to Apples ;) You'll find in fact that while their notebooks may be a bit pricey their desktops are NOT. Take the Dell XPSONE which is the ONLY machine to my knowledge on the market comparable to the iMac and the Apple turns out about the same and even can be cheaper depending on how configured. The Mac Mini is DEFINITELY cheaper than the Aopen mini-PC which is the only competition the Mac Mini has.

4. OSX-Tiger which is the Mac Equivalent to XP is so much more stable and easier to use (after delearning Windows) that it is not even funny. Leopard had its problems but NOTHING like Vista and Leopard is only 5 months old too.

5. Why do you feel the need to be "elite" or superior to anybody else for any reason? I've used both machines and there will not be another Windows or Linux machine in my house again unless Apple really fubars with their next OS. I don't go running around in my Jaguar laughing at people driving Kias. Grow up... If somebody loves their Amanti then great that doesn't mean my S-type is for them....

That is all, we now return you to your regularly scheduled program.....

Ah, another LOL mac thread.

I guess I am an idiot too that knows nothing.

Blanket statements are awesome.

My first PC was a 286. Since then I have owned a computer from pretty much every platform since. I have been working on PC hardware since DOS, then Windows 3.1, etc...

I run 3 data centers with roughly 60 servers all running Windows.

My current laptop? A Macbook Pro.

Why?

1. I really like OS X
2. Intel Mac w/ Parallels in coherence mode means I can do anything I need to do for work.
3. Intel Mac w/ bootcamp = games
4. Show me Dell, or any other laptop that has the power that my new MBP has with the same weight, and thickness.
5. I really enjoy the nicer features such as the casing, backlit keyboard, multi touchpad, LED backlit screen, etc...

I have the money and I like computers so if it makes me an idiot because I wish to pay extra for some of these features, so be it but chances are my knowledge of PC's far outweighs yours so just think about that before you go and make some smug remarks.

My first PC was a 286. Since then I have owned a computer from pretty much every platform since. I have been working on PC hardware since DOS, then Windows 3.1, etc...

Why?

1. I really like OS X
2. Intel Mac w/ Parallels in coherence mode means I can do anything I need to do for work.
4. Show me Dell, or any other laptop that has the power that my new MBP has with the same weight, and thickness.
5. I really enjoy the nicer features such as the casing, backlit keyboard, multi touchpad, LED backlit screen, etc...

I have the money and I like computers so if it makes me an idiot because I wish to pay extra for some of these features, so be it but chances are my knowledge of PC's far outweighs yours so just think about that before you go and make some smug remarks.

We sound like peas in a pod..... :D

Why?

1. I really like OS X

Excellent post. I agree 110%.

Yes, bootcamp can be but I'm finding myself not even wanting to bother with Windows unless it is a MUST situation like (there is no OSX XMB theme creator software) and I'd like to tinker with it so I'm just going to run it in Parallels. Hell, I don't even like to reboot my Mac. Only time I do is when there is an update that requires it.

Yes, bootcamp can be but I'm finding myself not even wanting to bother with Windows unless it is a MUST situation like (there is no OSX XMB theme creator software) and I'd like to tinker with it so I'm just going to run it in Parallels. Hell, I don't even like to reboot my Mac. Only time I do is when there is an update that requires it.

I only boot camp for games.

Why do people argue about Mac vs PC? It's not like your forced to use either...

Have you guys even considered design? The new laptop aside, those Mac Pro cases are sweet. The monitors are higher quality. IMO the LCDs are higher quality (including laptops).

Now I won't say it's worth the premium, but if I thought I could afford it, I'd be all Mac. If you think Windows is better than OSX, you're either biased, or you've never worked with OSX.

No more clicking Start, to Shut Down. No add/remove....you want something uninstalled? Drag it to trash.

If you haven't extensively used a mac, you really have no place in this discussion.:beer:

Drag it to the trash and hope you dont miss a ton of other items it installed which you now need to use the search function to hope you find it, OSX uninstall is great for some programs, but many others it leaves much to be desired - i think windows is better because it suits me better, so dont call me bias because of my own preferences, i have been using OSX for 1 year... 3 months now, i had alot of usage with OS 9 for almost 2 years as well, and i just prefer windows because i am used to it, even when i used OS 9 daily, i just didnt like the feel, and how crappy that OS was, it left a bad taste in my mouth, but i gave OS X a try and it is an awsome OS to say the least, i just have my preferences.

i do agree, the have the design down! the macbook pro, all aluminum case, i would love a system like that, i wish they had made a macbook with all aluminum body when i bought mine.

Most of Apples LCD's (in the past at least) were the exact same panels dell and other OEM's had, yet people always claimed "Apple studio displays are so much better" samsung or LG based panels, so the diff was nothing but how they packaged it, yet some how Apple had better LCD's, Apple doesnt make anything, they take items out there and sit down and design a system and then get parts from other people and get someone else to assemble it.

Id like a MAC, but they refuse to put the pros I would need for engineering (screen space) in a pricepoint for students. I will never get the plastic ones... blah.

If Apple ever steps up and puts out a nicely priced macbook pro for students, Id be all over it. Until then, I will have a windows laptop that is working fine with windows and linux.

I will however NEVER EVER get a MAC desktop where you are locked in on certain hardware/drivers. I use my desktop for too many things to worry about that.

Macs certainly are sexy, but I pretty much use my computer exclusively for games so even if I used boot camp on it I would be in windows more often than I would in OSX.

Yeah man those thinkpads are pretty tough but I have seen some MacBook pros and some PowerBooks come out of some bad situations.

On another note I will say that osx leopard was really bug ridden and there are still a few more issues but look at how fast the 10.5.2 update was released compared to vistas sp1.

I still say that you should use what suits your needs and I happen to prefer osx so there you go. I dont pc game anymore so I'm not too worried about it.

And one thing on the price comment, I am considering a MacBook pro since I dont like the plastic like I thought I would, and I am probably going to just get a refurb. They come with the same warranty and you can get AppleCare so I think its a good way to get a little better price. Plus I am allowed to work on them so I dont even void the warranty if I open it.

To each their own but I will never say that one is specifically better than the other. I still use them both.

And you're suggesting that most users use the power button to shut their PCs down? You're just trying to make me laugh, right?
No, I'm confused by the complaint that it takes a few more clicks in one operating system to shut the computer down versus the other.

I personally don't turn my machine off very often so I guess it just seems like a non-issue to me. If I'm turning my desktop off it's usually because I'm about to open it up, so I just press the power button first.

I just use that as a great example of the brainless thinking that went into Windows. Start, Shutdown. Shouldn't there be and End button that leads to Shutdown? :D

I just use that as a great example of the brainless thinking that went into Windows. Start, Shutdown. Shouldn't there be and End button that leads to Shutdown? :D

Why add another button when there is already a start button there. It would just add more clutter.

I use a Mini so there is no noise and little power consumption so I just let mine take a nap when I'm done with it. Wakes back up instantly unlike Windows which has to chew on the harddrive for a minute or two.

My computer never goes on standby anyway because I run seti on it, and it's no big deal for me to press 3 buttons to turn it off.

OSX i recall you have to do some clicking on leopard, it isnt just there on your desktop....

vista is 2 click - start / shut down

Back