• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making a gaming computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's another story, you will need some audio experts here. There's no price limit in audio hardware so I'd say, first, fix your budget and then you will have to consider the pros/cons of an all in one versus receiver and speakers separates.

I don't have an use for one, I can't imagine why I would use 2 other than piracy practices haha. Yeah, that one is plenty. Since it's only gaming, I got to say that the i5-3570K is plenty. And, if you are going to game only in 1080p, 1x7970 will be enough as well.

Why would you even need 2 drives? The one you posted is cheap and will do the job just fine. I rarely use mine.

edit: Oh you were faster ;)

The thing is, I want my system to be 'Plenty' because i know that the more i ship out now, the longer it will last me.

That is not true, there is a certain amount of money, depending on what you plan to do with the PC, you can spend and get a good performance for your money. When you exceed that limit you will end up spending disproportionally more money on the less performance. And thats the part where it does not make sense to cross that limit.
If you play in 1080p, 1 card is enough. Consider buying 2 if you run 3 monitors e.g.
When your system is outdated, a Crossfire / SLI won't save you from needing to upgrade your system. Consider that the two cards doubled your power draw in that time on the other hand.

Sorry for my crappy english sometimes :/ I hope you get what im trying to say.

your english is fine, and i won't lose performance running 1080p with 1 card versus 2?

One more thing, as a previous owner of the HAF-X, I'd recommend you to take a look at the NZXT switch 810. The cost is about the same but the switch looks more modern, it has a bit better cable management (there are more holes in the motherboard tray) and at last, you can remove the HDD cages you don't use for better air movement. The other feature I like is the pop up panels making it easier to clean. I use to spend more time cleaning the HAF, the switch is easier. Also love the big window on the side.

your english is fine, and i won't lose performance running 1080p with 1 card versus 2?

Trust me, you won't. I'm playing at 1440p. Since ATI drivers aren't great, some games don't work very well in Xfire so I have to disable it and end up running some games with one card and still being able to max out many games @1440p

and i won't lose performance running 1080p with 1 card versus 2?
The 7970 is beast, absolutly no reason to go for 2 cards, especially since it is the 3 GB Version. You probably won't be able to use them completly.

Can I get the nzxt switch 810 in a color other then that ugly *** white?

Glad to help.
Frankly I dont know, I did a quick google search and the 7970 is cheaper, so I'd go either with it or if the money is not that important go what brand you prefer. I think they should be almost equal in performance.

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

Tell you what.. Great case selection. I've been eyeing that for about a week now. I have had my 680 for a while now. Love them. Asus makes a quality 3 slot card if you have the room on the mobo/case. If so, invest in 2 :D

Back