• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Input on my Black Friday/Cyber Monday build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OhForPetesSake

Hi All,
First time, long time. I've been building PCs since the late 90s (voodoo 3 3000 baby!), but due to life obligations, have been pretty well out of the game for the past 4-5 years. I'd like to get back into it and am thinking this fall is the time I'll choose to do it. There's a few things I'd like to get into with this build for the first time, and since I've been out of the game for a while, I'd love any honest feedback both on where I should be using different components, spending more for higher quality, or spending less for lower quality. Even on subjective stuff, like monitors, I'd love people's input. My goals for this build are as follows:

1.) Looking to get into overclocking for the first time
2.) Looking to get into (non-custom) water cooling for the first time
3.) I'd like to get into the RGB world.
4.) I've always build middle of the road machines and would like to get into the higher end with this build
5.) My uses are for work (not very processing intensive) and gaming. I play all types of games from shooters to MMOs.
6.) I'd like to ideally keep my budget less than $3000 (ideally quite a bit less) but that's flexible for the right justifications.

Without further ado, my plan as it currently stands:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($358.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($145.59 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($158.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($839.99 @ Walmart)
Case: Lian-Li - PC-O11DW ATX Full Tower Case ($138.97 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($85.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($95.89 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: NZXT - Aer RGB120 (3-pack) 61.4 CFM 120mm Fans
Case Fan: NZXT - Aer RGB120 (3-pack) 61.4 CFM 120mm Fans
Monitor: Asus - PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor ($685.00 @ Amazon)
Other: Nzxt HUE 2 RGB Lighting Kit Black (AC-HUEP2-M1) ($45.72 @ Amazon)
Total: $2952.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-10 16:20 EST-0500

The things I'm least sure about are the motherboard, power supply, storage solutions, and case. Again, I welcome any commentary at all!

as for the psu, I prefer the g2 with a cable mod kit, other wise click the buy button.

the fan in the g2 is double ball bearing, the g3 is hydro and that's all.
I prefer cable mod, flex.

the fan in the g2 is double ball bearing, the g3 is hydro and that's all.
I prefer cable mod, flex.

Those cablemod cables are pretty...but man are they expensive!

After doing some more reading, based on your recommendation, it seems the g3 fan can get awfully loud, which I'm not a huge fan of. Does the G2 also have this problem? Are there other power supplies you'd recommend?

Back