• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

malware, viruses and bad juju in Win7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
...until I have a reason to run an AV use a condom of some sort, I'll keep rocking my unprotected ways, it just feels better that way :beer:

LOL, you make the pros & cons of this debate crystal clear!

Here's a reason you can get infected even through a girl you know:

"Customers who follow safe browsing best practices are not likely to be compromised by any exploitation of the WMF vulnerability. Users should take care not to visit unfamiliar or un-trusted Web sites that could potentially host the malicious code."
Microsoft Corporation
January 3, 2006

Attachments

• MicrosoftSafeTrusted.jpg
    MicrosoftSafeTrusted.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 67
I guess it depends on what you do with your computer -- if you don't visit social network sites (or don't care if people steal your identity), don't purchase things online, don't do online banking, don't store any sensitive information on your computer, then it doesn't really matter if someone else gets access to it. What are they going to do say "hahaha, I see your high scores!"

For me, the computer I store tax data, resumes, etc. on and that I use for online banking is much more locked down than the laptop in the living room that is just for internet browsing.

It can be used to commit criminal activity and thus get you a major headache before things are sorted out...

But most people do at least some of these things you mentioned, and if you do not, then you are a in a minority, and I can see you having to worry less...

I don't visit social networking sites, but I do store my resume on here (hey, if a hacker sees it and offers me a job, more power to me!) and order things online, etc.

I guess I just have no reason to be paranoid since 7+ years of web browsing without issues has given me a mental security blanket. I don't store cookies or temporary internet files or anything, to each his own I guess. Bring it on malware, I'm waiting here for you with my Win 7 on a flash drive :p

I don't visit social networking sites, but I do store my resume on here (hey, if a hacker sees it and offers me a job, more power to me!) and order things online, etc.

I guess I just have no reason to be paranoid since 7+ years of web browsing without issues has given me a mental security blanket. I don't store cookies or temporary internet files or anything, to each his own I guess. Bring it on malware, I'm waiting here for you with my Win 7 on a flash drive :p

Can I have your IP address? :beer:

In addition to standard antivirus, anti-malware & firewall implimentations, it's wise to set up accounts for other users with limited privelages. That should help in preventing someone else from completely borking your system.

+ 10000000000000000000000000000

Also, use the correct browser. Seamonkey, Firefox, or anything that does not have ActiveX

These are the things you need. Avast, Firefox, and a firewall. That's pretty much it. I've never gotten anything having these 3 things...

Sygate is great for Windows XP, however Windows 7 needs COMODO, which I love. Just dont install the virus protection of COMODO.

Back