• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Melamine=death?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

corndogs

Okay!

I've modded cases before, but this time I want to build into a melamine/MDF cabinet.

So long as I get airflow right, can anybody think of any reason not to do this?

Guesswork is great, but any chemistry know-whats out there who can reassure me that I won't choke myself on overheating plastic will get a high five.

Also never worked in wood before: does it need any special grounding? All advice welcome.:confused:

It contains cyanamide, which if you take out the am, leaves you with Cyanide. :chair:

Except cyanamide isn't nearly as toxic.

Melamine is an aromatic trimer of cyanamide: it gains quite a bit of stability from aromatisation, and releases nitrogen when burned.

EDIT:
To have a reasonable chance of killing yourself, you need to eat 227g of melamine, 8.75g of cyanamide or 0.26 g cyanide.

So provided I don't eat the case or set it on fire, I should be fine? Well that's an incentive... :D

Back